Senior Software Engineer - Commerce Ecosystem, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA
It all started with an idea at Block in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, borrow and save to our millions of monthly active users. With a mission to redefine the world's relationship with money by making it more relatable, available and accessible, at Cash App you'll have the opportunity to make a real-world impact with your career.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees around the world with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and continue to value working across time zones and continents both remotely and in our Cash App offices.
Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Block operates. We tailor our experience to champion our employees’ creativity and productivity wherever they are.
Check out our locations, benefits and more at cash.app/careers.
The Merchant App Platform team is responsible for enabling third-party service providers to build features that connect merchants and consumers.
As a software engineer on the Merchant App Platform team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining Cash App's suite of merchant feature primitives, which includes identity and relationship management, rendering and interaction models, and APIs that empower developers to design seamless customer experiences. You will be deeply involved in the technical details of building highly available and reliable services, while also working with product teams to build new capabilities for our customers, partners, and merchants as we scale across the world.
This is an exciting and rare chance to join us as a founding member of this team working in a high growth area. As someone who is joining the team early in the product life cycle (greenfield development!), you'll have plenty of opportunities to help shape the product and feature roadmap to discover and prioritize customer value.
- Build & expand the bridge that connects Cash App with merchant ecosystems
- Architect, build, and deliver features that enable experiences which are loved by millions of people around the world
- Own features and functions throughout their life cycle, from inception, rollout, launch, scale, and iteration
- Work cross-functionally with our non-engineering partners (Product and Design) and adjacent engineering teams (Mobile, Machine Learning, and Data Science) to create new product experiences and developer APIs
- Lift the skills and expertise of others on the team as a technical leader
- Participate and improve our team's on-call rotation
- A passion for advancing Cash App's purpose of economic empowerment by bringing people closer to businesses they love
- 8 or more years of software development or equivalent experience
- Boundless curiosity, persistence, and a desire to get things done
- Taken technical initiative and led high value projects across multiple teams and disciplines
- Success prioritizing urgency, excellence, and execution in a fast-paced and high-growth engineering environment
- Experience creating delightful software experiences on a cross-functional product development team
- A history of healthy collaboration with product managers, designers, engineers, and other stakeholders
- Experience with building scalable distributed systems and developer APIs
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, AWS Aurora, DynamoDB
- Amazon Web Services
- Kafka & event-driven microservice architectures
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.