Product Data Scientist, New Products (Banking)
- San Francisco, CA
- Alternate Location: New York, United States
Since we first opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely – and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take a payment and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together. So we expanded into software and started building integrated, omnichannel solutions – to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, run a busy kitchen, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. And across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow all in one place.
Today, we’re a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex commerce operations, sellers just starting out, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers scale, so do our solutions. We all grow together.
There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a business that is big, meaningful, and lasting. And we are helping sellers around the world do the same.
We are looking for experienced Data Scientists to join Square's growing Banking organization. We have an incredible team that is working to make financing easier, fair and more transparent for all businesses. As a Data Scientist on the New Products Team, you will leverage analytics, engineering, and machine learning to empower data-driven decision making in the full lifecycle of product development. Banking is expanding it's product set to help sellers meet their varying financing needs. You would partner with the various teams to drive this initiative. You will work closely with product managers and machine learning engineers. You will leverage data to predict credit and fraud risk, improve strategic decisions, and lead experimentation/growth projects.
This role will be embedded within a product team.
- Partner with multiple team members to make data-driven decisions across the organization by leveraging descriptive and predictive analytics to produce material impact
- Provide comprehensive analytics support to partner teams, primarily through development of self-serve tools (such as ETLs and Looker)
- Determine and monitor essential metrics for product projects
- Own, coordinate, and solve complex, cross-functional problems that extend beyond the traditional boundaries of product domains, analytics, and data science
- Communicate analysis and decisions to high-level stakeholders and executives in verbal, visual, and written media
- Apply a diverse set of techniques including statistics, quantitative reasoning to help grow the business
- 5+ years of analytics experience or equivalent
- Fluent in data tools for analysis and visualization (SQL, dashboards, Python/R)
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to translate ambiguous, unstructured problems into actionable data-driven analyses
- Skilled verbal and written communication to explain technical analysis to non-technical partners
- Familiarity with data warehouse design, development and best practices
- Proven ability to lead projects that depend on the contributions of others in multiple disciplines
- Experience in applying both data-backed heuristics and machine-learning techniques to solve practical product problems such as funnel optimization. Bonus points for experience applying these techniques to underwriting.
- Some background in lending, finance or risk is helpful but can be learned on the job
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.