Senior Software Engineer - Cash App Pay
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
Cash App is building a retail payment network that leverages our vast omni-channel Seller ecosystem at Square to create innovative payment experiences. Check out shop.cash.app for a demo.
As a senior software engineer on the team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining Cash App's retail payment experiences across the time of purchase, notifications, and historical activity. You'll be joining the founding team early in the product life cycle, with plenty of opportunities to continue shaping it from an engineering and product-perspective.
- Work cross-functionally with our product, design and business teams to support new payment experiences across Cash App mobile and web clients
- Own the design, development, and maintenance of new features and existing systems
- Lift the skills and expertise of others on the team as a technical leader
- Design and implement high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible
- Build systems that manage customers’ sensitive data and hold Cash App to the highest standards for security and compliance
- See the big picture to design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without showing a negative impact to customers
- 5 or more years of software development or equivalent experience
- Well-developed curiosity
- Taken technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
- Worked on products that are widely used and find it rewarding to build for consumers
- A vested interest in advancing Cash App's vision of building for economic empowerment
Tools we use and teach:
- Java 11 including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, AWS Aurora
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.