Senior Software Engineer - Lending, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA
It all started with an idea at Square in 2013. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app, bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to our millions of monthly active users. We want to make the world’s relationship with money more relatable, instantly available, and universally accessible. This is our mission, and it’s why working at Cash App means so much more than a job.
Today, Cash App has thousands of employees working globally across office and remote locations, with a culture geared toward creativity, collaboration and impact. We’ve been a distributed team since day one, and we’ve got offices and remote teammates across the globe. Our offices are great, but many of our roles can be done remotely from the countries where Cash App operates. No matter the location, we tailor our experience to ensure our employees are creative, productive, and happy.
Check out our locations, benefits, and more at cash.app/careers to learn more!
Cash App's mission is to make money instantly available and universally accessible - all the products and features we've released in the app are based on those principles. Lending is one of the newest Cash App products and we're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join this team and help deliver on our vision of economic empowerment.
Lending offers Cash users low-friction access to money without prohibitive repayment terms and the Engineering team is focused on building the complex systems and tooling to support access and availability. We're looking for people who are as excited about our mission as they are about the technical challenges we have.
- Work on impactful, multi-person projects that cross Engineering team boundaries
- Take a developer-centric approach in designing and building APIs
- Develop Cash App Lending features and test everything you build thoroughly
- Operate and manage existing Cash services
- Provide mentorship to other members of the team
- Make recommendations to improve the team and wider Engineering practices
- Help interview candidates, organize external recruiting/networking activities as well as contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- Report to one of the founding Engineers of Cash
- 5+ years working on complex systems and delivering quality software
- Developed clear expertise in one or more technical areas
- Curiosity that pushes you to find flaws in a complex system and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Taken technical initiative on previous projects, having led or contributed to medium-to-large feature releases
- The ability to persevere in complex situations, across multiple axes: e.g. scale, uncertainty, interconnectedness
- An interest in working on a product that impacts people/businesses directly
Tools we teach and use:
- Kotlin and Java 11 (including JUnit, Hibernate, and Guice)
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, TiDB
- Event-driven microservice architecture
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Square is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, assessing candidates in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.