- San Francisco, CA
- Employees can work remotely
In this role on Square's in-house Editorial team, you will manage a team of editors who create content on topics affecting sellers and the economy for Square's owned editorial channels and strategic content marketing campaigns. As the Managing Editor, you will oversee the day-to-day operations of Square's main branded publication and content hub, Town Square, and other branded content and media.
This will include taking a lead role in story ideation — where you will plan, assign, and edit content — in addition to overseeing the editorial budget, editorial calendar, and production schedules with a team of in-house editors in addition to working with our content marketing studio strategists, writers, and other creative resources. You will also develop the Editorial team's capabilities for new content formats and create efficiencies in how we create media such as podcasts, video, data journalism, etc. with our team of content creators and producers. The aim is to maximize the value of high-quality content and storytelling, and to inspire creativity in how the Editorial team brings these topics to life for our important audiences.
This is a creative and cross-functional role that will collaborate with Lead Generation, Social, SEO, Communications, Product Marketing, Creative, Brand, Experiential, and Sales teams in addition to Square partners, vendors, creative and media agencies to create high-quality, engaging content that moves critical business metrics at all stages of the seller journey.
You will report directly to the Editor-in-Chief, and manages a team of editors who cover commerce, customer experience, finance, management, and more as we continue to grow the Editorial team.
- Oversee the production of Square's comprehensive and holistic editorial strategy using a variety of content and media, working with the Editor-in-Chief, team leads, and other partners to support business, product, and audience goals for Town Square and other branded publications and media.
- Oversee the editorial calendar, processes, and governance, providing leadership for editorial staff that enables them to bring relevant seller topics and narratives to life in fresh and tangible ways.
- Manage end-to-end editorial operations with an in-house team of editors and external partners, including a team of content strategists, writers, and other production resources through our content studio or by commissioning other internal and external resources to complete deliverables.
- Concept and edit creative original content such as articles, seller stories, white papers, e-books, and other editorial formats such as Q&As, listicles, how-tos, long-form features, quizzes, etc. that establishes Square as a partner for business owners and supports editorial strategy goals.
- Develop a center of excellence around seller storytelling and editorial at Square, including seeking out fresh perspectives and opportunities that can drive innovation and experimentation — from format to creative, to partnering with other teams at Square to forging new partnerships with influencers, SMEs, other brands, and publications like The New York Times, Forbes, Eater, ZAGAT, and others — to fuel a best-in-class program.
- Consult and inform strategies for content distribution in partnership with Square's owned channel strategists/specialists and stakeholders, including public web (squareup.com), social media, community, YouTube, email, print, etc.
- Generate content performance reports and insights, utilizing Google Analytics and internal tools to track trends and key results, and to inform ongoing editorial strategy.
- 5+ years of post-university work experience and a BA/BS in a related field such as journalism, marketing, or communications
- Experience in editorial, journalism, and/or content marketing building and running a branded publication or blog
- A love of content, with experience managing a robust editorial calendar
- Top notch, demonstrated writing and editing skills across a variety of content types and formats
- Experience managing a team of writers, editors, designers, and other contributors
- Experience with content and editorial production (creating briefs, managing deadlines, handling feedback, project management, budgets, etc.) as well as video, audio, and other media production
- Ability to think strategically and develop comprehensive narratives that align with brand and business goals
- Working knowledge of content distribution/marketing channel best practices (social media, email, paid ads, SEO, etc.)
- Knowledge of content measurement and reporting metrics, and how to use them to ideate and fuel performance
- A creative approach to editorial
- An energetic and willing attitude
- Experience working at a business, entrepreneurial, technology, or finance publication, or related brand in a content marketing or editorial environment
- Solid track record as a journalist, producer, or other editorial roles in content marketing
- Experience writing and editing for business or finance publications
- Experience in driving business or product metrics
- Experience in other types of marketing, such as demand generation, lead generation, B2B marketing, enterprise marketing, growth marketing, etc.
- SEO expertise
- Web, UX, or other digital experience skills
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Square, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) builds tools to empower businesses and individuals to participate in the economy. Sellers use Square to reach buyers online and in person, manage their business, and access financing. Individuals use Cash App to spend, send, store, and invest money. And TIDAL is a global music and entertainment platform that expands Square's purpose of economic empowerment to artists. Square, Inc. has offices in the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Norway, and the UK.