Electrical Engineer, Intern (Fall)
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square's Hardware Team builds the tangible connection to Square. We started with a simple Reader that turns any phone or tablet into a mobile point of sale - and we continue to lead this category with advances in technologies that define point of sale hardware (NFC, display, WiFi, Bluetooth, touch). Our hardware engineers design and develop outstanding hardware products. They understand the subtleties of user interaction, robust communication interfaces, and smart product design.
For this 12-week remote internship, you will:
- Become intimately familiar with Square's hardware products and manufacturing processes.
- Research technologies for our next-generation hardware products.
- As part of the Systems Engineering track, you will develop device characterization plans and measurement-setup prototypes for new technologies.
- As part of the Electrical Design Engineering track, you will help design and test electrical systems for new Square hardware products
- Work with Square's Devices Software Engineering group to understand embedded test access and APIs.
- Write and debug engineering automation software for the lab and the factory.
- Reach beyond boundaries to make Square's products better wherever you see the chance
- Pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical field, graduating between May 2022 and June 2024.
- Familiar with Python, MATLAB, or similar programming language
- Experience with EE schematics and PCB layout
- EE skills including switch mode power supplies, amplifiers, microcontrollers, batteries and charging systems, and high speed digital signals.
- Familiar with hardware lab equipment for test, measurement (e.g. oscilloscope, power supply, function generator, spectrum analyzer, DMM), or prototyping (Soldering, Raspberry Pi, Arduino, 3D printing, powertools)
- Excited to work on hands-on projects and to make things work in EE or software realms
- Eager to apply engineering skills to dig into challenges that are outside of your expertise.
- You're collaborative and excited to work as part of a team, ask questions, and share information to solve problems.
- Experience measurement systems automation.
- Knowledgeable of statistics
- Familiar with the co-existence of multiple technologies in a unified system.
- Experience with Altium Schematic and PCB design tools
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.