Senior Software Engineer - Commerce - Frontend, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We are open to hiring in multiple locations within North America.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 30 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
The Commerce team is building new retail payment experiences on Cash App that leverage our vast omni-channel Seller ecosystem at Square. We make this possible via an OAuth 2.0 based API to empower the consumer in what is traditionally a merchant and bank-controlled world. For a demo of the payment experience, check out shop.cash.app
As a senior engineer on the team, you will pave the way for the Cash App Commerce team’s front end web development through design, execution, and maintenance of our new retail payment experiences. You will work with internal teams and external partners to ensure the solutions you develop integrate seamlessly to deliver first-in-class customer experiences. You'll be joining the founding team early in the product life cycle, with plenty of opportunities to continue shaping it from an engineering and product-perspective.
- Lay groundwork for the Commerce team's Web Frontend development.
- Create beautiful and functional web experiences that appear fluid between desktop and mobile platforms.
- Craft reusable web components for first and third-party developers.
- Focus on scalable integrations with Cash App, the Square ecosystem at large, and external ecosystems.
- Work cross-functionally and communicate with our product, design, and other engineering teams to design new services and experiences.
- Build systems that handle sensitive customer data and hold Cash App to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can iterate quickly and take calculated risks without negative impact reaching our customers.
- Lift the skills and expertise of others on the team as a technical leader.
- 8 or more years of software development or equivalent experience.
- Experience building Web Frontend UI for multiple form factors.
- Product mindedness and a deep care about your customers' experiences.
- A sense of developer empathy that influences the way you craft the third-party developer experience.
- Desire to help build all aspects of our Commerce Web Frontend stack through your work on this team.
- A level of comfort working within ambiguity.
- A vested interest in advancing Cash App's vision of building for economic empowerment.
Tools we use and teach:
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- Amazon Web Services
- Event-driven microservice architecture
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.