Senior Software Engineer - Trust & Safety, Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 36 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
The Trust & Safety team is a new team responsible for product experiences aimed at promoting the health of our broader product ecosystem. This team will build products and features to detect and prevent the improper use of Cash App across all of our core product areas, and improve customer experience for those flagged by our risk, fraud, and abuse systems. We work to improve Cash App access for the vast majority of customers, while limiting access for bad or otherwise unauthorized actors.
This role requires broad perspectives, a willingness to dive deep, and readiness to work collaboratively across many disciplines (including product, design, operations, legal, data science, ML).
As a Senior Software Engineer focused on Trust & Safety you will:
- Design, build, and operate APIs and services that power Cash App
- Work in a large monolith, in microservices, and help evolve our architecture to scale with growth in customers and developers
- Investigate issues across complex systems and build both the short-term and long-term solutions
- Collaborate with engineering, product, design, and operations both inside and outside the team to develop new, high-impact experiences
- Mentor, lead, and support your colleagues to help grow the team
- Build incrementally, test everything, and deploy often
- Contribute to the broader tech and open source communities
- 6+ years of industry experience or equivalent
- Demonstrated technical initiative on previous projects
- Growth mindset and a healthy comfort with ambiguity
- Strong communication skills
- A focus on customer outcomes
- Experience with product risk or security
- Experience working in large codebases
- Experience working in a distributed team
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java, Kotlin, Golang
- HTTP, JSON, gRPC, and Protocol Buffers
- MySQL, Hibernate, DynamoDB
- Kafka and event-driven architecture
- DataDog, Prometheus, SignalFX
- Docker/Kubernetes on AWS
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.