Engineering Manager (Mobile iOS), Square Appointments
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
As a leader within the Appointments team, you will be responsible for managing a team of iOS engineers that designs, builds, and maintains our native apps across iOS, Android and Square’s own hardware platform (Register). Your team will have direct responsibility for launching critical new features that help our merchants, across the world, manage their schedules, payments, employees and customers. As a member of the Appointments leadership bench you will also advocate for making continuous investments in developer productivity and code quality along with feature delivery.
- Manage a world-class team of experienced and passionate iOS engineers.
- Grow the team by hiring, coaching and developing engineers, fostering engineering decisions, and leveraging your technical and managerial expertise to constantly raise the bar.
- Establish the technical vision and direction for the team and lead the team to achieve it.
- Form excellent working relationships with your counterparts in design, product, marketing, external QA vendors and other engineering and business teams across Square.
- Plan, organize, schedule & document team’s work to ensure successful project execution.
- Participate in technical, design, and product discussions with teams across the organization.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical, working experience (6+ years preferred)
- At least 2 years experience managing engineers (including providing feedback, investing in the career growth of your team members and growing teams).
- A knack for creating readable, well-crafted, maintainable code.
- An eye for design and an ear for the customer.
- Passion for building remarkable experiences in mobile applications.
- Eagerness to share your own ideas, and openness to those of others.
- Strong command of iOS development from previous technical experience.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Swift, Objective-C
- Workflow - A library for making composable state machines, and UIs driven by those state machines.
- Unit tests, snapshot tests, integration tests
- Protocol buffers
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources