Senior Software Engineer, Financial Operations, Square Capital
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Atlanta, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Square’s rapidly growing lending platform, Square Capital, has revolutionized the way businesses and consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Capital offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Capital has extended more than $9 billion to hundreds of thousands of sellers.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Financial Operations team within Square Capital, you will be responsible for designing, building, and owning the services and infrastructure that power our products. Our funding and liquidity platforms are responsible for moving millions of dollars every day between our borrowers and investors, as well as crunching huge amounts of data in order to provide portfolio management reports. If you have a passion for the intersection between finance and technology and a dedication to precision and detail in software design and development, we want to work with you!
- Orchestrate the timely, secure, and accurate movement of millions of dollars per day to and from our investors and borrowers
- Build systems that generate reports and analytics that operate over massive amounts of sensitive data, while maintaining high performance and absolute accuracy
- Scale our existing lending platform, including the datastores and the distributed coordination mechanisms depending on them, as Capital serves more customers and launches new products
- Design and implement detective controls to quickly discover and fix irregularities in our systems
- Lead major efforts on defining strong domain boundaries to reduce coupling and allow engineers to more easily develop and test code changes
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be bold and move fast without ever negatively impacting our customers
- Work closely with engineering, product, and other partners to build software that is extensible and forward thinking
- Level up the skills of engineers and cross-functional partners in order to improve engineering quality and increase team effectiveness
- 8+ years of software engineering experience
- Extensive experience designing, building, and operating backend systems, from APIs and business logic to optimized database transactions
- A proven track record of executing complex, medium-to-large feature releases that span multiple months
- Experience modeling complex domains and building resilient systems to support real world applications at scale
- Excellent interpersonal skills that enable effective communication and collaboration with a variety of stakeholders
- Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources