Senior Software Engineer- Remote
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Atlanta office houses many platform teams at Square. As Square's business continues to experience growth, these teams serve the heart of the business, allowing Square product teams and third parties to build safe, scalable, and reliable products. We are looking for software engineers who feel comfortable in all parts of the stack to join our Atlanta office. Here are some of our teams:
- The Payment Acceptance team owns the core of Square’s online payments stack and operates it at a massive scale.
- We provide APIs for first and third parties to access our platform.
- We move money between customers, credit card processors, and banks quickly, reliably, and securely – and our ambition is to make this easy.
- We solve several technical challenges: Security and privacy, monitoring, re-architecting for the future, scalability, supporting payment methods such as cryptocurrency, 3DS, ACH, and support Square's expansion to support new payment types in international markets.
- We are a backend service team, and use Java on Square's Linux servers and cloud platforms along with technologies like Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, jOOQ, MySQL, Kafka, AWS and GCP.
- The Catalog team builds the platform and product features that allow Square merchants to manage the items and inventory they sell.
- We support all types of merchants from food trucks with just a few menu items to retail chains with hundreds of thousands of SKUs for sale across many locations.
- The team is involved in the technical details of building available and reliable services, while also working with product teams to allow Square to build new capabilities for our merchants and buyers all over the world.
- We partner with external developers to build public APIs that allow Square to expand its ecosystem.
- The Prices team manages tools that help Square merchants set prices, manage taxes, and provide discounts to their customers.
- We are a full-stack team, delivering features through Mobile, Web, and API across nearly all of Square’s products.
- We are reinventing Square’s models for pricing and taxes, building flexible primitives to manage complex needs.
- We also own Square’s subscription platform, managing all subscriptions, usage, and billing.
- We are a team that ties together many software components across Square, including Payments, Prices and Catalog, allowing developers to quickly combine all components to develop new features on top of Square’s platform.
- Our Order Platform APIs are designed for use by first (internal) and third-party (external) developers.
- We design high-volume, low-latency, distributed transaction processing systems, making thoughtful tradeoffs between consistency and availability when both are not possible.
- BS Degree in Computer Science or equivalent. Minimum 4 years of industry experience
- Natural curiosity and a desire to explore solutions in a small and focused team
- Experience pursuing side projects, research, or open source projects
Technologies we use:
- Java, Ruby, Go
- iOS, Android, web
- Guice, Guava, Protocol Buffers, gRPC, jOOQ, Rails
- MySQL, Redis, Kafka, Vertica
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources