Senior UX and Design Researcher, Point of Sale and Customers
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Denver, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The Square Point of Sale and Customers team is looking for a mixed-methodology researcher to help guide and inspire our teams by uncovering meaningful human-centered insights to drive great product design and innovation. We know we can’t build remarkable products without first understanding how our customers will use them in the real world, and that's where you come in. You will help connect Square with the sellers and buyers we serve—learning from their unique context, stories, and needs to ensure our products and services are relevant, useful, and delightful.
- Support design, product, and product marketing with research for Square's core Point of Sale app and complementary products including Virtual Terminal, Team Management, Customer Directory, Invoices, Marketing, Loyalty, and Gift Cards.
- Work with team members to identify research needs from small to large initiatives and help the team frame research goals and ask the right questions.
- Design and execute research projects to support a cross-functional team on several domains, including customer needs, product design, segmentation, and customer communications.
- Employ both qualitative and quantitative research methods to obtain insights about our users’ behaviors and attitudes, and develop recommendations for the product and design teams.
- Provide guidance and training on research tools and techniques to facilitate self-serve UX research.
- Advocate the customer perspective within the POS and Customers team and across Square.
- 8+ years of experience leading research projects in a professional environment.
- Relevant experience conducting a variety of research affecting all aspects of business and product development —from exploratory research to usability studies to in-market surveys.
- Experience leading or co-leading both deep dive and quick-turn ad hoc research.
- Agile approach to adapting research practices to meet team needs under tight timeframes.
- Focus on improving the product and user experience in an iterative and collaborative environment.
- Experience designing and leading qualitative fieldwork using a range of techniques (e.g. remote and in-person usability testing, 1:1 interviews, concept testing, ethnographies, focus groups, co-creation workshops, etc.)
- A willingness to get hands-on and personally recruit participants.
- Experience conducting survey research end-to-end including questionnaire development, programming, sample management, data weighting, analysis, and reporting.
- Familiarity with quantitative methods for market research (e.g. NPS/customer satisfaction, segmentation, market sizing, pricing, etc.) is not required but a plus.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Learning and Development resources