Hardware Analytics Intern (Summer)
- San Francisco, California, United States
- Employees can work remotely
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
Business Intelligence Analysts at Square are embedded within our teams and use engineering, analytics, and machine learning to empower data-driven solutions in the full life cycle of product development. As a Hardware Operations Analytics intern, you will join the Hardware team for 12-16 weeks to provide insights about our Sellers in partnership with our Operations Team. You will help create strategic decisions with data, lead growth and experimentation plans, and develop automation solutions to personalize product experiences. Square's mission is economic empowerment, and our team supports this by using data to understand and empathize with our customers, thereby helping us build a remarkable product experience. For more insight into what we do, check out this blog post: https://medium.com/square-corner-blog/product-analytics-at-square-8796766a14e3
The Hardware team creates, and provides the tangible connection to Square to help our customers understand and engage with our products wherever they are, wherever their business takes them. We started by making the Square Reader; the simple and universal way to connect a billion credit cards to the smartphones in everyone's pockets. Then, we extended this idea to our brick and mortar merchants with Square Stand and most recently, Square Register, our first integrated point of sale.
- Join the Hardware Operations team for a 12-16 week remote internship starting in June 2021
- Partner with operations team members to make decisions across the organization by using descriptive and predictive analytics where it will have a material impact
- Apply a diverse set of tactics including statistics, quantitative reasoning, and machine learning to independently research and produce actionable insights
- Work on complex problems that extend beyond the traditional boundaries of product domains, analytics, and data science
- Communicate analysis and decisions to important partners in verbal, visual, and written media
- Provide daily analytics support to partner teams, develop tools and resources to empower data access and self-service so your expertise can be used where it is most impactful
- Pursuing a degree in Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field
- Experience performing data analysis using SQL and Python (pandas, scikit-learn)
- Convey complex results to all types of audiences
- An advanced degree (B.S., M.S., PhD.), preferably in Statistics, Computer Science, Physical Sciences, Economics, or a related technical field
- Experience in programming or scripting to promote ETL development
- Familiarity with other data tools and databases such as Looker and Snowflake
- Experience using statistics and machine learning to create business solutions
- Independent research experience
Technologies we use and teach:
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.