Senior Software Engineer (Cloud Database Infra), Cash App
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Alternate Location: Seattle, United States
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
Cash App is the fastest growing financial brand in the world. Initially built to take the pain out of peer-to-peer payments, Cash App has gone from a simple product with a single purpose to a dynamic app with over 30 million monthly active users. We are bringing a better way to send, spend, invest, and save to anyone who has ever sought an alternative to the traditional banking system.
Loved by customers and pop culture, we’ve consistently held the top spot for finance in the App Store for many years, seeing more engagement with millions of followers across social media in a day than most brands see in a year. We are building an ecosystem to redefine the world’s relationship with money by making it universally accessible.
We want to hire the best talent regardless of location. Our employment model is distributed, offering the opportunity to collaborate with teams across the world in San Francisco, New York, St. Louis, Portland, Toronto, Kitchener-Waterloo, Sydney, and Melbourne.
Interested in learning more?
We provide a set of fully managed databases as a platform, used to persist data for all of Cash App. Our platform, running on AWS, automates operating a constantly growing number of databases and database systems like DynamoDB, AWS Aurora, and TiDB. We are responsible for a wide variety of data and access patterns, ranging from mission-critical payment data to high volume user event and sensor data, requiring us to gain deep expertise in a variety of database systems.
Our teams are remote first and globally distributed. You will have high levels of autonomy and curiosity.
As a member of Cash Cloud Database Infrastructure engineering team, you'll collaborate with our stakeholders - including product engineers - to:
- Design, build, and own infrastructure projects that provide critical support for operating database systems at scale
- Build the platform that provides self-serve provisioning, scaling, and management of database systems like DynamoDB, AWS Aurora, and TiDB.
- Build and operate continuous integration and chaos testing for our platform
- Spread database best-practices across the organization, while mentoring and inspiring fellow engineers
You'll also have the chance to explore and contribute to bleeding edge open source technologies that will form the future of Cash App's cloud storage platform, like TiDB, Temporal.io, and ChaosMesh.
You are a self-motivated, curious engineer who wants to work with stateful distributed systems at scale. Automating chores is second nature. An afternoon spent tracking down an obscure kernel bug is your idea of a good time. You can jump up and down the cloud platform stack at will. The fact that you'll be jumping head first into a massive, distributed cloud platform excites you.
Skills you’ll bring:
- A curiosity for highly available systems at scale
- Technical initiative and a desire to make those around you better
- Experience with incident response, including disaster recovery
- Proficient in Go or a mainstream scripting language
- At least one of:
- Experience operating Data Storage at scale with one or more of the following databases: MySQL, DynamoDB, Amazon RDS, and TiDB
- Proficient with container orchestration technologies like Docker and Kubernetes
Technologies we use and teach:
MySQL, DynamoDB, TiDB, Amazon RDS, AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform,, Go, and Kotlin. We don’t expect candidates to have experience in all of these technologies.
Cash App spends much of its time using these tools, but we're committed to working on the right tech for the job. As a senior member of the team, we look forward to having your expertise guide us into the future.
Cash App treats all employees and job applicants equally. Every decision is based on merit, qualifications, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with each office’s corresponding local guidelines.