Software Engineer, Integrations

  • San Francisco, CA
  • Full-time

Company Description

Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.

Job Description

Commerce is changing, and as part of that Square is transforming from a product company to a platform company. If you join now, you will help Square build a new dedicated Integrations Engineering team (IntEng) developing a platform called Square Bridge, which enables sellers to integrate their third-party systems (e.g. SAP, NetSuite, Salesforce) in a scalable way. Square is in the epicenter of the massive wave of omnichannel retail combining in-store and online / in-app payments, and as Square sellers grow they need more complex third-party systems to manage their businesses. You'll help expand that ecosystem of partners by building Square Bridge, which includes a seller-facing dashboard for configuration and monitoring of their integrations, and server-side code. Although this team is part of the Sales organization, it is a technical position and you will spend about 80% of your time coding. There is also an opportunity to be entrepreneurial with the remaining 20%: all IntEng team members will help with product work (design, seller interviews, prioritization), and internal evangelism (helping explain Square Bridge to the Sales team).


  • Design, build and maintain an integration platform for premier merchants and partners using Square
  • Write testable, well-documented and maintainable frontend and backend code
  • Work with product, design, and other teams across Square, and with leaders in the Sales organization
  • Be an entrepreneur within Square - this is a brand new platform product
  • Work with an amazing group of engineers while applying your technical expertise to always improve
  • Be the go-to expert for Sales on what is technically possible with Square Bridge


  • BS in Computer Science or related engineering field, or equivalent practical experience
  • 4+ years of experience developing production software
  • 3 years with Spring
  • Interest in working full-stack, from optimizing database transactions to building distributed systems and frontend web applications
  • Experience applying popular front-end, back-end and database technologies (e.g. Ember, Java/Spring batch, MySQL)
  • A sense of customer empathy and desire to influence the product direction
  • A deep desire to be challenged and improve within a culture of engineering practices

Even Better:

  • Experience pursuing research, or open source projects
  • Experience with the Spring Java framework
  • Experience with Google Cloud and App Engine
  • Experience with Ember.JS
  • Experience with ERPs or other enterprise software
  • Working knowledge of basic accounting principles

Additional Information

At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at) We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.


At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
  • Healthcare coverage
  • Retirement Plans
  • Employee Stock Purchase Program
  • Wellness perks
  • Paid parental leave
  • Paid time off
  • Learning and Development resources