Senior Software Engineer, Mobile Security
- San Francisco, CA
We work to guarantee the security of every transaction from dip and tap to receipt. Our ultimate goal is to ensure that there is no possible way to use Square insecurely. In the Mobile Security group, we work to fluidly interpret signals from what could be a compromised or hostile environment - the OS and app running our code. We build workflows, both human and machine, to swiftly judge the requests for privilege that come with those signals, and we hunt the malefactor where they work.
An example of this is our work to support and validate PIN-on-Glass, the ability of our apps to receive entry of a customer PIN after an EMV card dip into our reader. This is a constrained and sensitive transaction, controlled previously entirely by the banking industry, into which we were not only able to introduce our low-cost, easy-access product, but to also influence the industry itself and its newest standards.
We look for software engineers who understand both security and the human cost of securing a digital border. We need people who recognize that a false positive is a frustrated customer, that an engineer's investigations are a limited commodity, and that threats are not always what they seem. We cannot succeed without elegant and scalable tooling, which is what you will build.
- Lead and contribute to projects that span the following
- Signals processing and secure operations on mobile devices
- Security incident review
- Information flow and efficiency modeling
- Case management user interfaces and backends
- Applied machine learning in security contexts
- Native library development for Android and iOS apps
- 3+ years of industry experience
- A background in software engineering with a deep passion for making all things efficient
- Examples of secure and elegant software development on production systems
- Experience developing, deploying, and monitoring systems for managing and scaling security investigations, judgements, and actions
At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources