Software Engineer, Platform Teams
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
As Square's business continues to experience growth, our platform software engineering teams serve at the heart of the business, allowing Square product teams and third parties to build safe, scalable, and reliable products. We are looking for front-end, back-end and full-stack software engineers to join our New York City Office.
Teams currently hiring:
The Marketing Technology team exists to make analysis and growth more effective and efficient. We are the connective tissue binding the tools, tech, data, and individual team projects across Square to guide the entire ecosystem forward. We are responsible for powering the future of experimentation at Square, optimization of marketing campaigns and analytics through automation, and unlocking of personalization and new ideas through the adoption and implementation of a centralized customer data platform. We are a new and growing team with the opportunity to create massive change at Square.
- Be the subject matter expert in marketing and growth technology; understand our existing platform landscape and how to optimize it.
- Work in a small, cross-functional, dynamic engineering team to unlock the potential of Square’s growth technology and the teams who leverage it.
- Partner and embed with data, marketing, and product teams across Square to drive implementation and adoption of the stack.
- Be responsible for creating comprehensive documentation to enable self-serve use of the stack.
- Evangelize convention over configuration to lower the cost of integration and increase velocity.
- Unlock innovation at scale for teams and tech throughout Square.
The mission of the Traffic team is to build highly scalable, secure, and reliable communication infrastructure for hundreds of geographically distributed microservices. The software provided by the Traffic team is essential for reliably serving customer traffic and facilitating service-to-service RPC.
- Develop, operate and maintain an Envoy-based service mesh made up of both cloud and on-premises applications.
- Develop, operate and maintain highly reliable, mission-critical software-based L4 and L7 edge proxies.
- Provide seamless service discovery for every application at Square whether in the cloud or on-premises.
- Leverage our service mesh to empower product developers with features like intelligent rate-limiting and circuit-breaking for preventing cascading failures.
- Contribute to the upstream Envoy project.
- Participate in a team on-call rotation.
- 3+ years of software engineering experience, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals.
- Software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages
- Natural curiosity and a desire to explore solutions in a small, highly focused team.
- Understanding and interest in creating highly available, scalable, low-latency, global systems.
- Interest in state of the art security systems.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.