Senior Security Engineer, Cloud Kubernetes
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Alternate Location: Seattle, United States
- Position open to remote: Yes
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square’s Information Security culture is focused on enabling our engineering teams to build and ship secure products. We achieve this by designing, building, and deploying state of the art security alongside our product and infrastructure teams.
As a Senior Security Engineer, Cloud Kubernetes, you will be responsible for hardening Square’s Kubernetes environments. Square is in the early days of migrating existing on-prem services to the cloud. Your work will shape the way we use Kubernetes for years to come.
We’re looking for someone with both a broad knowledge of security and systems, as well as a deep knowledge of containers and Kubernetes. Real-world production Kubernetes experience is a must-have for this job. The ideal candidate will have other experience across a range of technical disciplines and may have had past jobs such as Information Security (Hardening, Detection/Response, Blue Team, etc) and systems (SRE, SysAdmin, Network Engineer, etc).
- Design and build the security components of Kubernetes in multiple environments (AWS EKS, GCP GKE, possibly on-prem).
- Build security automation for cloud environments.
- Work closely with the infrastructure and product teams who are moving to the cloud, and ensure that they have secure-by-default systems.
- Work in the San Francisco, Seattle, or New York City office. Remote work in the USA or Canada is a possibility depending on experience. Occasional travel to San Francisco may be required.
- 5-10 years total experience in tech.
- You work well cross-functionally, and can communicate with audiences who may not have a security background.
- Kubernetes experience
- At least 1 year of Kubernetes experience, especially in a large or complex environment. This work experience should be at least 75% of your time focused on Kubernetes., including work securing production resources. We are looking for someone who can bring their skills to Square and hit the ground running.
- Experience implementing Kubernetes security and hardening.
- Experience with at least 1: AWS EKS or GCP GKE
- Security experience
- At least 2 years experience working in security.
- Expertise in cloud automation tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible, etc.
- Experience writing code to solve security issues. This could be writing security tools, or automation/management of security-sensitive environments.
- Experience securing Linux systems - hardening, logging/detection, general systems design. Emphasis on container security.
- Networking knowledge, including network security and segmentation.
- Experience in Python and/or Ruby.
- Experience in both AWS and GCP
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.