Square builds common business tools in unconventional ways so more people can start, run, and grow their businesses. When Square started, it was difficult and expensive (or just plain impossible) for some businesses to take credit cards. Square made credit card payments possible for all by turning a mobile phone into a credit card reader. Since then Square has been building an entire business toolkit of both hardware and software products including Square Capital, Square Terminal, Square Payroll, and more. We’re working to find new and better ways to help businesses succeed on their own terms—and we’re looking for people like you to help shape tomorrow at Square.
The mission of the Traffic team is to build highly scalable, secure, and reliable communication infrastructure for hundreds of geographically distributed microservices. The software provided by the Traffic team is critical for reliably serving customer traffic as well as facilitating service-to-service RPC.
- Develop, operate and maintain an Envoy-based service mesh made up of both cloud and on-premises applications.
- Develop, operate and maintain highly reliable, mission-critical software-based L4 and L7 edge proxies.
- Provide seamless service discovery for every application at Square whether in the cloud or on-premises.
- Leverage our service mesh to empower product developers with features like intelligent rate-limiting and circuit-breaking for preventing cascading failures.
- Contribute to the upstream Envoy project.
- Participate in a team on-call rotation.
We believe that a well designed production environment can be simple and beautiful. We are looking for experienced engineers with a passion to build highly reliable infrastructure.
- 3+ years of software development experience in Java, Go or similar. C++ experience a plus.
- Experience building, operating and maintaining low-latency, highly reliable services.
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.