Software Engineer, Business Operations Platform
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square has grown into a platform of product services that help merchants run their business. From the inside, these product services are organized into business units with their own product and engineering teams. Underneath, there’s a platform team that supports this plethora of products.
The Business Operations Platform team works with product engineers at Square to ensure they meet their operational requirements as easily as possible. We do this by partnering with teams for their product launches and helping them integrate into our operations platform, Regulator. At the same time, we take learnings from our partnerships and turn that into new features for teams to more easily integrate into our platform in the future.
As one of the oldest code bases at Square, we are constantly evolving and refactoring, creating better patterns and adding new features in order to meet the demands of different business requirements throughout all products. Currently our team has developed a robust framework for integrating into our platform on our backend Ruby on Rails application, but we are in need for someone to help steer work in our frontend Ember application as well as bridge the gap between the two platforms. Ideally, you love refactoring code, cause we have a lot!
- Design, develop, and deploy incremental improvements to our frontend Ember platform.
- Collaborate with our sister teams on the design for a new configuration-driven platform.
- Assist product engineers integrating into our platform by understanding their projects, reviewing their code, and providing general help about our platform.
- Contribute to the monitoring, stability, and security of existing services.
- Participate in an on-call rotation for any issues related to the operations platform.
- Communicate technical designs in writing and in person to multiple technical audiences.
- Experience working in large full stack applications (4+ years minimum).
- Experience developing in Ruby, Python, Java, and/or Go.
- Experience developing frontend applications in Ember, React, and/or Angular.
- Experience leading 1+ year long code migrations.
- Strong communication skills.
- A desire for clean code and refactoring.
- Act as a strength multiplier to product engineering efforts.
- Learn about every product at Square.
- Work at the intersection of the social and the technical, with growth opportunities in both.
Technologies We Use:
- Ruby on Rails
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.