Software Engineer, Square Capital
- New York, NY, USA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square’s rapidly growing financing platform, Square Capital, has revolutionized the way businesses and consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Capital offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Capital has extended more than $4.5 billion to over a hundred thousand sellers.
As a software engineer on Square Capital, you will be design, build, and own the services and infrastructure that power our products. You will build beautiful web applications, sophisticated financial systems, and highly available services that form complex distributed systems. If you love delivering beautiful software that improves the lives of millions of consumers and business owners, we want to work with you!
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave and move fast, without ever negatively impacting our customers
- Develop clear and secure APIs that integrate multiple web/app clients with server.
- Build well-designed, reusable system patterns and components.
- Massively scale our existing lending platform, from the datastores to the distributed coordination mechanisms depending on them
- Build systems that collect and maintain customers’ sensitive data, while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance
- Provide mentorship to engineers and cross-functional partners to improve engineering quality and increase team effectiveness
- Participate in ongoing training to maintain current knowledge of BSA/AML and perform BSA/AML duties as required by job function.
- Interest in working full-stack, from developing frontend web applications to implementing business logic and optimizing database transactions
- Passion for building products that are beautiful outside and inside – from their user experience to their robust and elegant design.
- 3+ years of experience designing, building, and operating complex systems with a variety of technologies and programming languages
Technologies we use and teach:
- Modern web services and applications built with a variety of frameworks, languages and databases (Ruby on Rails, Go, Mysql, DynamoDB)
- Software engineering tools: testers, linters, package management, continuous integration
- Robust server architecture built on our own data center, but we are expanding more and more on the cloud with AWS services
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.