Android Engineer, Retail
- New York, NY
Retailers have struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. Even as mammoth Retail and e-commerce forces threaten to disrupt smaller merchants, we are empowering those merchants with simple and elegant solutions to complex problems - like predictive analytics and fluid, omni-channel capabilities to meet customers wherever they are - to always make the sale. Based in New York City, we are one of the newest products at Square - and with iOS launched were working towards launching on Android. We are a lean team, benefitting from (and contributing to) the resources of the larger organization while staying focused on solving Retail-specific challenges. We are relentlessly customer focused, and iterate quickly using a build-measure-learn approach.
- Build and test client software with complex server, network and hardware interactions;
- Craft pixel-perfect, intuitive UI that delights our sellers with its ease of use;
- Work with a world-class team of experienced and dedicated engineers and designers;
- Deliver features to our growing base of subscribers, shipped at a rapid cadence;
- Develop for our custom, purpose-built hardware - Square Register - with dual displays;
- Be a part of creating an innovative product that brings superpowers to sellers.
- 2+ years of Android development experience, and an excellent command of engineering fundamentals
- Interest in learning (and helping us evolve) client engineering practices at scale
- Unwavering commitment to customer experience and the quality of your work
- An eagerness to share your ideas, and openness to those of others
Technologies we use and teach:
- Java and Kotlin for development.
- Espresso for UI testing.
- Protocol buffers for network transport.
- Gradle + OkBuck for our build environment.
- Also leverage Dagger, RxJava, Mortar, Flow, and OkHttp for day to day development.