Software Engineer, Square Capital
- New York, NY
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, and helping the ice cream shop pay its employees. And, with Square Capital, we have extended over $1 billion in funding to our sellers, helping them manage their cashflow and making it easy to invest in and grow their business. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. And make it easier for customers to shop and pay at their favorite businesses. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Squares rapidly growing financing platform, Square Capital, has revolutionized the way businesses and consumers obtain the funding needed to achieve their goals.
Unlike traditional business financing products, Square Capital offers are extended to pre-qualified sellers with no application process, funds are deposited as soon as the next business day, and repayment happens as a fixed percentage of daily card sales. Since the product launched in 2014, Square Capital has extended more than $2.5 billion to over a hundred thousand sellers.
With Square Installments, were empowering sellers to offer monthly installment plans, so that their customers can access goods and services they value, but can not or do not want to pay in full up front. This makes goods and services more affordable for buyers, and helps small businesses grow with a tool that has been historically reserved for large companies. Our team strives to provide simple, elegant, and reliable financing experiences for small business owners and their customers.
As a Software Engineer on Square Capital, you will be responsible for designing, building, and owning the services and infrastructure that power our products. You will build beautiful web applications, sophisticated financial systems, and highly available services that form complex distributed systems. If you love delivering beautiful software that improves the lives of millions of consumers and business owners, we want to work with you!
- Work closely with engineering, product, and design partners to design and build new cutting-edge financial services products
- Massively scale our existing lending platform, from the datastores to the distributed coordination mechanisms depending on them
- Implement sophisticated credit underwriting models that integrate the best third-party sources with Squares proprietary transaction data
- Build systems that collect and maintain customers sensitive data, while holding Square to the highest standards for security and compliance
- Design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave and move fast, without ever negatively impacting our customers
- Interest in working full-stack, from optimizing database transactions to building distributed systems and frontend web applications.
- Passion for building products that are beautiful outside and inside from their user experience to their robust and elegant design.
- Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals.
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible. Perks At Square, we want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes: Healthcare coverage, Retirement Plans, Employee Stock Purchase Program, Meal reimbursements, Wellness perks, Paid parental leave, Flexible time off, Learning and Development resources