- Chicago, IL
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square is looking for a Jr. Designer to join our award-winning creative team. You will collaborate with creative teams and our product partners to craft smart, effective solutions that help tell the story of Square’s growing ecosystem of products.
This is a hands-on role that requires the ability to take direction from creative leadership and partner closely with a cross-functional creative teams. We see you as a resource for campaign development and iterative exploration. We require an agile work attitude and a desire for constant improvement.
Our designers are a central part of working groups that include art directors, copywriters, creative strategists, engineers, and program managers. This role requires a detail-oriented, multi-disciplinary designer that enjoys working across all visual mediums. This is a deeply collaborative role that requires rapid ideation and an open feedback cycle.
- Design on-brand, on-concept graphics, layouts and contribute to the development of image / video assets, prepared for web, print, and physical installations
- Work with Square’s product and marketing teams to turn project strategy and creative ideas into great design experiences
- Champion brand standards and design systems
- Collaborate with a talented group of writers, producers, production artists, product managers, and marketers
- Experience level: 1-2+ years
- Education: Degree or equivalent experience. Your portfolio and your ability to speak to your process are what matter most
- Creative problem-solving skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to process and take action on creative feedback
- A great eye for layout, typography and design principles
- Familiarity with a variety of design tools. Proficiency in Adobe CC, Sketch / Figma
- Knowledge of best practices in web development, mobile development, web usability
- Ability to anticipate the needs of partners in preparing production-ready assets
- Proactive; ability to manage one’s own time efficiently
- Basic photo retouching skills in Photoshop
- Basic skills in a motion graphics package such as After Effects
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.