Software Engineer (Frontend), Point of Sale Invoices
- San Francisco, CA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs with your Square email.
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square Invoices is the easiest way for merchants to close sales and collect payments remotely. Our customers rely on our products because they are well designed, easy to use, and integrated with their business. We are a full stack, product oriented team, spanning across engineering, design, product, and marketing. You'll have a seat at the table in roadmap and strategy decisions and will play a critical role in helping the team accomplish our industry leading growth goals.
Our team is focused, fast-moving, and rapidly growing with an abundance of growth and impact opportunities. We focus on building the best tools to help our merchants close sales and get paid quickly, anywhere, at anytime. At the same time, we are doing this in an efficient and scalable way, making smart choices about how to automate critical functions for our merchants.
The ideal candidate is a product-minded, frontend engineer who can take an idea from prototype to a cornerstone of our merchants' business operations.
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, and product managers to design and build world-class product experiences.
- Own the entirety of your features; including component design, implementation, automated testing, and rollout.
- Drive the architecture of our frontend systems to enable quick and stable feature development
- Hold yourself, and your teammates accountable to the standards of engineering and ethics that enables Square to safely move billions of dollars in payments and allow our customers to trust us with their sensitive data.
- Strong execution skills, with a pragmatic focus on ROI, to deliver remarkable solutions to our merchants.
- The ability to adapt to the different stages of product development. This can mean building intentionally scrappy code to iterate quickly, or building a sustainable system that will support our product for years to come.
- An appreciation for the connection between the software you build and the experience it delivers to customers
- Strong communication skills and ability to work cross-functionally with other functions, such as designers, product managers, data scientists, marketing, and business development to deliver a great product.
- Demonstrated, first hand experience building products at scale.
- Proficiency in at least one front-end framework and an enthusiasm to learn others. Our engineers have all kinds of backgrounds and are encouraged to move freely across our technology stack.
- 5+ years professional experience.
Languages and technologies we use and teach:
- Technologies: Sass, HTML
- Frameworks: Ember.js, Rails, gRPC
- Infrastructure: MySQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kafka
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.