- San Francisco, CA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Square is looking for a Designer to join our award-winning Creative Studio team. You will collaborate with our various product teams, including PMs, PMMs, Product Designers and Engineers to craft smart, effective solutions that help tell the story of Square’s growing ecosystem of products. We work across the latest emerging platforms, covering web and mobile experiences, UX/UI, product development, visual design, prototyping, experiential installations, photography, video, and animation.
This is a hands-on role that requires the ability to partner closely with a cross-functional creative team to turn project strategy into great design experiences. You will collaborate on web layout work, image manipulation, illustration, and motion design projects. We see you as an imperative resource for campaign development and iterative exploration. We require an agile work attitude and a desire for constant improvement.
Our designers are a central part of a squad team that includes art directors, copywriters, creative strategists, engineers, and program managers. For us, design isn’t static; it moves, talks, sings and vibrates. Designers within the Creative Studio are detail-oriented, multi-disciplinary, and enjoy working across all visual mediums. This role requires deep collaboration, rapid prototyping and an open feedback cycle.
- Design on-brand, on-concept graphics, layouts and image / video assets, prepared for web, print, physical installations
- Basic animation in After Effects for a variety of promotional and advertising videos serving Square’s ecosystem of products
- Work with Square’s vertical teams to craft great design solutions for marketing of our products
- Experience level: 1-2+ years
- Education: Degree or self-taught. Your portfolio and dialogue around your work is of highest importance
- Creative problem-solving skills with attention to detail
- Experience with UX and design tools. Proficiency in Adobe CC, Sketch / Figma and a prototyping tool such as Flinto, Framer or Origami is a must
- Basic photo retouching skills in Photoshop
- A good eye for layout, typography and design principles
- Understanding of usability and UX best practices for web and emerging devices
- IA/wireframing knowledge
- Knowledge of best practices in web development, mobile development, web usability
- Ability to anticipate the needs of engineers in creating and preparing production-ready assets
- Proactive; ability to manage one’s own time efficiently and productively
- Basic skills in a motion graphics package such as After Effects is a plus
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.