Software Engineering Manager, Customers + Virtual Terminal
- San Francisco, CA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The Customers and Virtual Terminal Team helps our merchants simplify their business processes and daily work, and builds the tools and apps that support the relationship between our merchants and their patrons. The resulting products from this combined team are used within Square’s ecosystem to aid in the growth and success of our merchants. And when they’re successful, so are we.
As an Engineering Manager on the team, you will guide the technical direction of the team, manage product goals, contribute to product strategy, and hire and scale your team. You will work with leaders across the company, collaborate with world class product managers and designers, and have a seat at the table of the Customers and Virtual Terminal leadership team.
What you'll do:
- Help set broad direction for the team while implementing delightful experiences for our sellers
- Build a world-class team by hiring remarkable talent, coaching and developing your team, fostering engineering decision-making, and applying your technical expertise to maintain a high bar
- Report directly into the Head of Engineering for this organization, and participate in essential technical, design, and product discussions with leaders across the organization
- Oversee the success of your team's product and achieve quantifiable results on time
- Build systems, services, and product features across multiple platforms that have immediate impact on customers
What you'll bring:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of software development experience
- 3+ years of experience managing teams with 10+ developers
- Technical background in developing products, services or platforms
- Experience collaborating with engineering leaders and cross-functional team members
Technologies we use and teach (but still get in touch if you haven't used these)
- Ruby on Rails, Java
- RPC, REST APIs, Protobuf
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.