Senior Software Engineer, Caviar
- San Francisco, CA
- Current Square Employee?: Apply via go/jobs
Were hiring an engineer to join us in making our catering products the most delightful in the industry. In this role, you will take ownership over the systems that are most important to our business. These are the systems that determine the perfect food to serve our diners at work.
This role is important. Without you we will not be as effective at balancing client needs, restaurant capacities and business costs. This is vital to deliver a reliable and quality experience for clients as we expand across the US.
We need you to own systemslike our smart menu systemand work to improve and optimize it. Identify better ways of measuring it. Invent new and better approaches to help us deliver the best catering experience in the industry.
What youll learn
We believe that we'll succeed by always delivering and delighting our customers. This means that were focused on our customers and measure ourselves by the value we deliver for them.
On our team, youll learn:
- What it means to be customer-focused
- How to build and deliver high-value features for customers in an agile way and at a sustainable pace.
- How to wear many hats: working closely with the whole team to develop features from end-to-end.
Youll walk away from your time on our team having made significant impact to our business and experience for customers. You will have led large projects, worked collaboratively
Who you'll work with
Youll be joining a team of 5 engineers with a dedicated engineering manager, product manager and designer.
Most of us work out of the San Francisco office (we have one remote team member). Were flexible and accommodating when it comes to schedules. There is a general preference towards face-to-face collaboration. But, as an example, many of us work from home regularly. We understand the challenges of commuting and balancing unpredictable schedules.
What does Caviar for Companies do and why?
Caviar for Companies is a separate business within Caviar. We focus on helping companies eat better, work better and live better.
We have three main products: catering, group ordering and individual ordering. All provide quality food, great service and an unmatched experience to people dining at work.
These products have a large impact on Caviars business:
- We send restaurants high-volume orders. Restaurants love these ordersmaking Caviar a more attractive partner for them.
- Our profitable products amount to a significant part of Caviar's revenue and profit.
We have some exciting and significant opportunities ahead of us.
Scaling nationwide. We are opening-up for business in existing Caviar regions (we recently launched in New York and Los Angeles). Expanding the number of diners-at-work who can experience our service.
New products and experiences. We have some exciting new ways we can serve our customers in the pipeline. We'll be running experiments and building these out this year.
What are we looking for?
- You are excited by the challenge of solving interesting technical problems such as operations, logistics and scheduling.
- Experience in Ruby/Python.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Strong knowledge of CS fundamentals and code organization.
- You have experience with optimization problems.
- Solving classic computer science problems in the real world is an interest.
- An interest in applying machine intelligence to real-world problems.
- You have previous experience leading large complex projects and mentoring junior engineers
Technologies we use and teach
- Frameworks: Rails, Ember, React, Cordova
- AWS, Docker, Heroku