Senior Software Engineer, Knowledge Platform
- Seattle, WA
We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
At Square, our mission is to build an honest financial network for everyone. We achieve our purpose of economic empowerment by delivering remarkable solutions. The Knowledge Platform team strives to deliver on this mission by building distributed high scale, efficient and flexible machine learning and customer data services that power experiences across Square products. The Knowledge Graph seeks to find connections between entities like buyers, sellers and devices and gain a new level of insight into how our products are used.
- Work cross-functionally with our product, analytics and operations team to develop new features and improve existing processes.
- Build systems that manage customers sensitive data and hold Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
- See the big picture to design fault tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact to customers.
- Interest in working full-stack, from optimizing database transactions to building distributed systems and frontend web applications.
- Passion for building products that are beautiful outside and inside from their user experience to their robust and elegant design.
- Experience building scalable graph-oriented services on one or more cloud providers (GCP/AWS/Azure)
- Data and metrics-oriented mindset: you want your work to be measurable and impactful.
- Customer empathy: you understand your customers needs and requirements.
- Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals.
Technologies we use:
- Java, Guice (DI), Google Cloud Platform
- Protocol Buffers, REST APIs
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.