Software Engineer, Caviar Cloud Platform
- San Francisco, CA
Caviar is changing the way businesses and consumers order food from restaurants. We believe that everyone should have access to the best eateries in their city without any hassles. Want your favorite burger joint, but hate the traffic and long lines? We're a team of passionate foodies solving that exact problem for your home and office. At Caviar, we believe in an environment that allows you to be creative and go beyond the call of duty. We're looking for exceptionally talented individuals who want to learn and grow with the company. Each and every day counts - you'll make a direct impact to the business starting from Day 1.
The Caviar platform team is a small group of passionate engineers with deep experience running applications in the cloud. We work together to make sure the rest of Caviar engineering has the tools and infrastructure to thrive. Roughly this means we own things like the build and deploy pipeline, metrics gathering and reporting, logging, aspects of production stability like EC2 instance auto-scaling and other tools that help the engineering teams build awesome things for the diners, couriers, and restaurants that use Caviar.
Our work has direct impact on the people sitting next to us, so we hear the joy from our peers when something we build helps them and (less often) we also feel the pain of when our tools don't live up to expectations from the other teams.
Some of the projects we've shipped in the past are:
Built a fully automated deploy pipeline so engineers only need to click 1 button to get their code into production
Migrated a rather janky homegrown analytics pipeline onto AWS DMS and made it super stable and near realtime in the process.
Moved all of Caviar's systems from Heroku to AWS
Currently we're focusing on code and infrastructure that can help the rest of engineering in their migration to a more microservices oriented architecture. We're looking for someone to work with us solve these types of problems. You'll be working collaboratively with us, have influence on the work we take on and the direction of our platform.
- Develop software that enables your teammates to build amazing things.
- Own the build and deploy pipeline for all of Caviar engineering.
- Optimize and tune our production deployment (Docker on ECS) to make it more stable, faster, and cheaper to operate.
- Design large-scale systems that keep Caviar running smoothly.
- Get a balanced, supportive, fun working environment, and career path.
- Make hungry people happy.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience.
- Experience running services in AWS or another cloud provider.
- Expertise in at least one object-oriented language.
- Strong knowledge of CS fundamentals and code organization.
- Experience in or desire to learn Ruby, Rails, and the Caviar technology stack.
- You've run Docker on ECS before and know what auto-scaling is all about.
- You know how databases (especially Postgres) work and how to monitor and tune them.
- A real passion for good food, maybe even have worked in the food industry before!
Technologies we use and teach:
- AWS, Docker, ElasticSearch
- Postgres, MySQL, Redis, Memcache
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.