Android Engineer, Retail
- New York, NY, USA
We believe everyone should be able to participate and thrive in the economy. So we’re building tools that make commerce easier and more accessible to all. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven’t stopped there. Our new reader helps our sellers accept chip cards and NFC payments, and our Cash app lets people pay each other back instantly. We’re empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. Let’s shorten the distance between having an idea and making a living from it. We’re here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business—and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
Retailers have struggled too long with clunky, outdated and disconnected tools. While mammoth Retail and E-tail forces are looking to disrupt smaller merchants, we are empowering those merchants with simple and elegant solutions to complex problems, like predictive analytics and fluid, omni-channel capabilities to meet the customer wherever they are - to always make the sale. Based in New York City, we are one of the newest launched products at Square. We are a lean team, benefitting from the resources of the larger organization while having the room to focus and innovate. We are relentlessly customer focused, and iterate quickly using a build-measure-learn approach.
If you’d like to be in on the ground floor of our newest mobile client experience, join us as an Android engineer. We’ve received substantial interest from Retailers who want to see us expand in that direction, and we’re in need of someone to create and help drive Square for Retail on Android.
- Build products that Retail merchants rely on, addressing their complex needs in an elegant and powerful way.
- Work with Square’s world-class Android engineers in an ever evolving code base.
- Own and drive improvements to app architecture in concert with our iOS engineering team.
- Learn how to solve challenging software and product problems related to payments, inventory, distributed systems, and mobile engineering.
- Iterate quickly with world class product managers and designers.
- Be responsible for the entirety of your features including user interface, client structure, server interactions, API design, implementation and automated testing.
- Be encouraged to contribute to the broader tech and open source communities.
- A strong desire to perform and grow as an engineer.
- An attitude of testing - both unit and instrumentation tests.
- Desire to solve hard and engaging engineering problems.
- A bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent degree.
- 2-5 years of software development experience, preferably in Java.
Technologies we use and teach:
- Android development with Java and Kotlin
- Dependency Injection with Dagger2
- Buck and Gradle
At Square, we value diversity and always treat all employees and job applicants based on merit, qualifications, competence, and talent. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.