Legal Counsel (m/f/d) - Berlin
- Berlin, Germany
Spotcap is a leading fintech company that offers digital lending technology to financial institutions around the world. Financial services are evolving at an unprecedented pace, and we have our sights set on transforming the industry with technology that makes finance fair, accessible and focused on the customer.
In pursuing our vision, our most important asset have been our people — the masterminds behind Spotcap. Based in Berlin, we are an international team of finance, engineering, marcom and business professionals from more than 25 countries.
If you share our passion for finance and technology, join our team of outstanding talent and play a part in shaping the industry's digital future.
We are looking for a Legal Counsel to support Spotcap across all legal matters in offering our Lending-as-a-Service cloud-based software globally. Based in our Berlin office, the Legal Counsel will be the primary individual responsible for all legal affairs. You will be working closely with all departments stretching from Finance, Marketing, and HR to Engineering and Product.
In this role you will…
- Work closely with the C-level as well as department heads
- Support the internal operations of the organisation as an all-round legal advisor including commercial, financial, employment, compliance and corporate matters
- Draft and negotiate complex commercial contracts with external business partners
- Handle all corporate advisory matters of the group and assist with corporate housekeeping
- Assume responsibility for ensuring the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable international and local laws and regulations in conjunction with the Compliance function
- Conduct legal research as required in various fields, including IP and IT law, employment law, corporate law and data protection
- Manage relations and projects with external legal counsel and legal contacts on the investor side
- Further develop the internal contract management, tracking and storage systems and help us implement any appropriate legal tech tools
Working at Spotcap means you will benefit from the following...
- Be part of a dynamic, driven and international team with diverse backgrounds, based in our office in the heart of Berlin
- Strong career progression and the opportunity to grow with the business
- A startup atmosphere in an established company environment with flat hierarchies - meaning you’ll be expected, and encouraged, to contribute your ideas
- Training and development budgets which can be used for conferences, attending personal training and development courses to ensure continuous growth and development
- A great company culture with regular social activities and tech talks
- A collaborative working culture with regular brainstorms, stand-ups and inter-departmental gatherings
Our ideal candidate has...
- Ideally between 3 and 5 years of professional experience in an international environment (in a leading law firm or industry)
- Previous experience as an in-house counsel in a software company or a start-up is a plus
- Sound and proven experience in structuring, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts (with a focus on technology & IT contracts), as well as in European corporate law
- Relevant working experience in employment and data protection law
- Strong academic qualifications in law (e.g. first and second German state examination or EU equivalent), with an international Master of Laws degree (LL.M.) being a plus
- An EU lawyer qualification (a strong asset)
- Written and oral fluency in English (mandatory), plus ideally another European language (German is a strong plus)
- A structured, results-oriented, and self-driven way of approaching tasks
- Great judgement when approaching risk, enabling management to make commercial decisions in a sophisticated and novel regulatory, technology and commercial environment
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced professional environment