Senior Accountant - Payroll & General Ledger (Hybrid)
At Spear, our mission is to help dentists and their teams pursue and achieve “Great Dentistry.” Spear drives dental practice growth by advancing our clients clinical skills, improving their practice management capabilities and enhancing the patient experience by leveraging both our deep dental expertise and our technology forward solutions. We offer holistic solutions that include a full learning management system, a practice consulting service supported by a robust analytics platform and industry experts, and patient engagement tools that complement the normal workflows within a dental practice. In addition, we deliver live, collaborative education led by the brightest clinical and business minds in dentistry through virtual seminars and events, as well as through hands on learning opportunities at our state-of-the-art campus in scenic North Scottsdale.
We are currently seeking a full-time Senior Accountant - Payroll and General Ledger to join our growing Finance & Accounting team. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, have an analytical approach to problem solving, be detail-oriented, organized, able to multi-task, and have a strong work ethic.
Reporting to the Vice President, Controller, this person acts as the liaison between the Accounting department and the business's operations, while ensuring smooth communication and prompt resolution of all queries. You will be responsible for all payroll processing, payroll accounting and other general ledger accounting activities. You will also contribute to meeting the company's financial reporting deadlines by preparing key supporting schedules for internal and investor financial reporting.
Payroll Processing: Complete the company's semi-monthly payroll processing, including communication and coordination with Human Resources on employee changes and updates, statistical analysis, tax reporting and setup, and other regulatory compliance as necessary.
Payroll Accounting: Complete the monthly accounting for all payroll and benefit related matters, including reconciliation between the payroll system, benefit providers and the general ledger.
- Perform monthly payroll processing for hourly and salary employees
- Complete detailed review and analysis to ensure each payroll is complete and accurate.
- Work with Human Resources to resolve discrepancies in a timely manner.
- Provide cross functional support to key stakeholders for payroll related activities.
- Prepare payroll accounting journal entries and record in the general ledger system.
- Complete monthly reconciliations and variance analysis for all payroll and benefit accounts.
- Partner with Human Resources and IT on projects and initiatives involving the HRIS system.
- Assist in preparation of consolidated internal and external financial statements and reports by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from various departments
- Complete monthly financial closing process and prepares all designated account reconciliations on a timely and accurate basis
- Maintain tracking for fixed assets, prepaid expenses, and accrued liabilities
- Assist with GL trend and variance analysis to identify and resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities
- Support month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close activities including the preparation of supporting schedules and workpapers
- Assist in the preparation and rollout of accounting policies and procedures
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or relevant professional certification preferred.
- Prior experience with payroll and payroll accounting required.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP with the ability to analyze and apply accounting principles effectively.
What Spear Offers
As the leader in our industry, we rely on the creativity and expertise of our people to deliver the best for our clients. In return, we invest in our employees by offering a diverse suite of benefits. We believe in offering choice and flexibility to keep our employees and their families healthy and happy today forward.
- Great Work/Life Balance - Unlimited time off program along with paid time off for volunteering. We also have shorter meetings times and Core Hours to help support a healthy work life balance for all employees!
- Comprehensive Health & Wellness Benefits - Medical (including your pets!), Dental, & Vision benefits and a 401k with a generous match. We also offer Maternity & Paternity Leave. Additional benefits include Mental Health Day, and the Maven Maternity & Health Joy apps.
- Company Sponsored Events - Think costume contests, annual Wellness Day, May the 4th be with you, Friday afternoon "Get Giphy With It", team builders, and 5k’s!
- Career Development Pathways - Career development through continuous coaching, training, and on the job learning along with a quarterly review process.
- STRIVE Program - Our peer recognition program that helps us celebrate one another's efforts and accomplishments. We like to recognize and reward the most amazing coworkers around!
- DE&I - We care about each other and have our Spear Collective groups to support this to ensure everyone feels a strong sense of belonging.
- Transparent Communication - We believe in a collaborative and trustworthy workplace with bi-weekly Company Wide All Hands Meetings and weekly 1:1's. We also send out weekly Office Vibe surveys to all employees for insights and feedback - we listen so we can make positive changes!
Spear Education deeply values diversity and what it brings to our communities and our organization.
Everyone is welcomed here, regardless of how you look, your physical abilities, where you come from, when you were born, what you believe in, how you identify, who you love, how you think, and whether or not you have served.
We seek to create a culture where each person feels heard, supported and engaged in a positive, empathetic way.
We are allies in, and advocates for, our shared humanity.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.