At Spear, our mission is to help dentists and their teams pursue and achieve “Great Dentistry.” Spear drives dental practice growth by advancing our clients clinical skills, improving their practice management capabilities and enhancing the patient experience by leveraging both our deep dental expertise and our technology forward solutions. We offer holistic solutions that include a full learning management system, a practice consulting service supported by a robust analytics platform and industry experts, and patient engagement tools that complement the normal workflows within a dental practice. In addition, we deliver live, collaborative education led by the brightest clinical and business minds in dentistry through virtual seminars and events, as well as through hands on learning opportunities at our state-of-the-art campus in scenic North Scottsdale. Discover how you can join our diverse and talented team and make an impact at one of the most dynamic companies in Arizona.
We are currently seeking a full-time Senior Accountant to join our growing Finance & Accounting team. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, have an analytical approach to problem solving, be detail-oriented, organized, able to multi-task, and have a strong work ethic.
Reporting to the Controller, the Senior Accountant is responsible for all aspects of the general ledger including balance sheet reconciliations, monthly financial statement preparation and the year-end audit. To be successful in this role, the candidate must possess a strong knowledge of US GAAP, accounting processes, internal controls, and systems.
Revenue Recognition Responsibilities:
- Perform monthly revenue related tasks and analysis and prepare necessary revenue recognition entries and adjustments enabling the monthly revenue close process.
- Manage updates to ASC 606 memo including revenue allocations and carve outs, list prices, performance obligations, partner relationships, etc., ensuring Finance and internal stakeholder alignment on recommended changes.
- Serve as the accounting project manager for the revenue recognition initiative to systematize revenue recognition and deferred revenue reconciliation, as well as assist in the enhancement of NetSuite functionality to improve the AR and revenue processes.
- Work cross-functionally with Sales and other departments and assist with pre-sales and post-sales support to identify accounting implications, which may include quote/contract review, and profitability analysis.
- Partner with Finance to analyze revenue by business unit, product, and type, and contribute to revenue forecast.
- Assist in preparation of consolidated internal and external financial statements and reports by gathering and analyzing information from the general ledger system and from various departments.
- Complete monthly financial closing process and prepares all designated account reconciliations on a timely and accurate basis.
- Maintain tracking for fixed assets, prepaid expenses, and accrued liabilities.
- Assist with GL trend and variance analysis to identify and resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
- Support month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close activities including the preparation of supporting schedules and workpapers.
- Assist in the preparation and rollout of accounting policies and procedures.
Sales Tax Responsibilities:
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual Sales and Use tax filings for multiple locations across multiple jurisdictions.
- Maintain general ledger accounts and prepare journal entries (monthly, adjusting, and/or recurring) and related reconciliations for month-end and year-end closing.
- Reconcile and research tax discrepancies by collecting and analyzing account information and provide recommended solutions.
- Ensure compliance to internal accounting policies, procedures, and controls
- Assist in risk analysis and remediation strategies for sales tax compliance across multiple jurisdictions.
Enterprise Customers Management:
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly and quarterly billing for Enterprise customers, ensuring accuracy based on customer contract.
- Monitor customer account details for non-payment, delayed payments, and other irregularities.
- Reconcile Enterprise AR accounts, ensuring accurate customer balances and timely payment application and resolving any discrepancies.
- Prepare and distribute AR aging report on a weekly basis to notify customer stakeholders of customers at risk for cancellation.
Vendor and Contract Management:
- Manage the company’s vendor management process through the communication with and setup of vendors in the company’s financial management system.
- Ensure vendor information is complete and accurate within the company’s financial management system through management of vendor documents (W9, ACH, TIN, Payment Information).
- Create, prepare, review, and edit all contracts that are created by the Company.
- Drive documentation, optimization, storage, and process development for the company's contracts.
- Manage the company’s contracts through the use of the company’s contract management software and ensure all required documentation per the vendor risk management policy is obtained.
- B.S. in Accounting or other business-related concentration
- 4+ years of experience in accounting
- Prior experience with NetSuite enterprise system or other equivalent ERP system
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially with Excel functions
- Ability to meet complex project deadlines and deliver high quality results
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with various levels throughout the organization, as well as external clients
What Spear Offers
As the leader in our industry, we rely on the creativity and expertise of our people to deliver the best for our clients. In return, we invest in our employees by offering a diverse suite of benefits. We believe in offering choice and flexibility to keep our employees and their families healthy and happy today forward.
- Great Work/Life Balance - Unlimited time off program along with paid time off for volunteering. We also have shorter meetings times and Core Hours to help support a healthy work life balance for employees in all time zones!
- Comprehensive Health & Wellness Benefits - Medical (including your pets!), Dental, & Vision benefits and a 401k with a generous match. We also offer Maternity & Paternity Leave. Additional benefits include Mental Health Day, and the Maven Maternity & Health Joy apps.
- Company Sponsored Events - Think costume contests, annual Wellness Day, May the 4th be with you, Friday afternoon "Get Giphy With It", team builders, and 5k’s!
- Career Development Pathways - Career development through continuous coaching, training, and on the job learning along with a quarterly review process.
- Remote and Hybrid Work Options - You can work remote, onsite, or anywhere in between! We know great talent lives all over! If you don't live in Arizona and are interested in working at Spear, we will consider each state on a case-by-case basis due to the implications of doing business in each state.
- STRIVE Program - Our peer recognition program that helps us celebrate one another's efforts and accomplishments. We like to recognize and reward the most amazing coworkers around!
- DE&I - We care about each other and have our Spear Collective groups to support this to ensure everyone feels a strong sense of belonging.
- Transparent Communication - We believe in a collaborative and trustworthy workplace with bi-weekly Company Wide All Hands Meetings and weekly 1:1's. We also send out weekly Office Vibe surveys to all employees for insights and feedback - we listen so we can make positive changes!
Spear Education deeply values diversity and what it brings to our communities and our organization.
Everyone is welcomed here, regardless of how you look, your physical abilities, where you come from, when you were born, what you believe in, how you identify, who you love, how you think, and whether or not you have served.
We seek to create a culture where each person feels heard, supported and engaged in a positive, empathetic way.
We are allies in, and advocates for, our shared humanity.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.