- 900 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Smoking Gun Interactive (SGI) is a dynamic and innovative game development studio lead by industry veterans located in the heart of downtown Vancouver. We develop original IPs as well as partner with incredible companies and established brands such as Microsoft and NASA to create games and diverse interactive experiences, utilizing our own leading edge technology.
Smoking Gun Interactive is looking for a talented, passionate individual with at least 3 years of industry experience in game design. The ideal candidate has hands-on experience designing systems and balancing gameplay mechanics. A strong literacy in game design and the ability to clearly and concisely communicate ideas in both written and verbal forms is key.
A Game Designer is a flexible, collaborative individual who is excited to work closely with art and programming teams to achieve excellent results. They are able to examine pipelines and workflows and suggest actionable improvements.
· Collaborating with a Lead Designer and Creative Director to deliver on the creative vision for the project
· Help evangelize and communicate the design vision to the team
· Collaborating with the Design team on developing, building, tuning and documenting gameplay mechanics to final quality
· Tuning and balancing gameplay mechanics
· Collaborating with art and programming disciplines to achieve project goals
· Maintaining high proficiency in workflows and pipelines, collaborating to improve tools and methodologies
· Maintaining a high level of quality in all aspects of their work
· Taking initiative in problem-solving and collaborating as needed to facilitate effective resolutions
· Helping liaison between the design team and QA
· 2 to 3 years experience as a game designer
· Shipped at least 1 title as a game designer
· Experience tuning a complex gameplay system
· Demonstrable expertise in game mechanics design and tuning
· Experience with Word, Excel, Photoshop
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, able to communicate ideas clearly
· Ability to accept and provide direction, work well under pressure, and handle multiple tasks
· Self-driven, taking initiative when needed – demonstrated ability to work independently
· Willingness to push the envelope and innovate within game parameters
· Passionate about gaming and striving to improve the quality of games
· Positive attitude and a great team-player