Senior WordPress Developer (Remote)
- 1640 S Stapley Dr, Mesa, AZ 85204, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Skyhook Interactive is a high performance website development firm based in Phoenix. During the 10+ years we’ve been in business, we’ve planned, designed, built, and maintained hundreds of websites for national brands like AT&T, NFL, American Express, LifeLock and Subway, as well as local stars like Arizona State University, Banner Health, City of Phoenix, Pink Jeep Tours, and more. We are the local leaders in the WordPress community, operating more advanced WordPress sites than anyone in the region.
Why You Want to Work with Us:
- An amazing culture that includes engaging (and engaged) team members, employee-centric programs, and great technology!
- Company-issued Macbook Pro with a purchase plan.
- Employer-paid health insurance plan.
- Retirement plan options with company match.
- Very flexible PTO policy
- Fun, open, and flexible environment in beautiful Mesa, AZ!
Position: Wordpress Developer (Mid- to Senior Level)
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Receive & review comps from project managers.
- Prepare assets from design files (usually Sketch, though some clients still prefer Illustrator or Photoshop).
- Set up and execute development in a local environment.
- Use our base starter theme, version control, and staging server for project consistency and continuity
- Build the project following the provided design comps, pushing database changes to staging and code to version control regularly.
- Coordinate with the project manager to implement changes as needed.
- Deploy the completed site to the production server, maintaining the integrity of the code base as required, over time.
Skills and Experience
- 10 or more custom WordPress website builds or 5-10 years experience in the development field.
- Agency experience is a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of WordPress including theme and plugin development
- Experience with SASS or LESS
- Experience with GIT
- Comfortable with the terminal/command line
- Ability to extract and prepare assets from a Sketch, Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop document
- Ability to convert designs from Sketch, Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator into fully functioning WordPress based websites
- Ability to migrate/move a WordPress website from one server to another
- Experience with Web-based server administration software (cPanel, Plesk, etc.)
- Ability to troubleshoot & maintain legacy code and sites
- Flexibility, passion for the craft, and willingness to share knowledge
- Familiarity with industry web standards and good time-management abilities, including project planning and coordination with internal project managers
- Strong organization and communication skills, ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines with high attention to detail
- When you aren’t sure about something you are okay with saying “I don’t know, but I’ll look into it and get back to you.”
Nice to Have Skills
- Familiarity with Bootstrap, Tailwindcss or similar framework.
- Familiarity with PHPStorm, npm/yarn, Webpack, WP-CLI and similar tools
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- We use Advanced Custom Fields & Gravity Forms on nearly every project, so familiarity with those is a plus.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.