Senior Director Software Engineering
- 225 S Sepulveda Blvd, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266, USA
- Employment Status: Regular
Join the thousands of innovators, advocates and forces who are making an impact every day at one of the biggest footwear brands in the world. Whether you love to connect with consumers on the retail floor or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the SKECHERS team is the place to be. Learn more about our brand at skx.com.
The Senior Director of Software Engineering will lead high-performing, diverse engineering groups to design, develop, and deliver software solutions to meet the needs of the business. They will be a thought leader, influencer, and champion of best practice in modern software engineering. They will be responsible for ensuring the continued success of their team by driving technical excellence and rigor. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned engineering leader with a history of developing strong partnerships with stakeholders to create success in all stages of the software lifecycle. They will need to be able to recognize gaps and/or needs for the organization, thrive on collaborating across functions, and be capable of providing strategic direction and technical leadership.
Essential Job Results
- Manage projects, processes and development roadmap to keep the team organized, efficient, and optimally running
- Hire, retain, mentor, and manage engineering staff to ensure they have the necessary skills to perform their jobs and develop their professional careers
- Manage operational budget and expenses for the team
- Link technology vision and strategy with overall business objectives and communicate rationale in a compelling, concise manner
- Build and maintain strong relationships with technical and business stakeholders to ensure alignment with the business needs and organization
- Drive the strategy, architecture, and development of solutions, and perform engineering design evaluations to ensure projects are within resource, budget, and scheduling constraints
- Ensure corporate security standards are met or exceeded for production systems
- Lead and oversee the team in the planning and implementation of new systems and integrations, from inception to production
- Support strategic planning, risk analysis and mitigation, and milestone definitions for projects
- Define and evangelize workflows and processes to guarantee software quality and stability
- Set, manage, and report KPIs to measure progress and facilitate data-driven decision making
- Other duties as assigned
- Proven track record in leading and managing cross-functional projects on budget and on-time
- Manage day-to-day activities of the engineering teams and project managers overseeing execution of software development projects against delivery commitments and project plans.
- Be responsible for feature deployment, stability of the business’s core platform, and the overall quality of the business’s web architecture.
- Provide technical guidance and direction, as well as hands-on resource and project management, for all software development activities.
- Demonstrated ability to guide efforts with technical partners and vendors for successful delivery
- Seek ways to simplify and standardize designs, operations, and deployment plans, focus on reducing complexity and providing performance, agility, and scalability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experienced with creating SoWs for 3rd party vendor engagements
- Experience with the following development languages, Java, Scala, Python, .Net, CSS, Java Script
- Experience with developing and running DevOps using the following: GitHub, Jenkins, Jira.
- Experience with optimizing and developing a enterprise ESB such as Boomi (Preferred) or Mulesoft, Tibco etc
- Experienced with budgeting for both Capex and Opex with long term resource planning
- Ability to create, maintain and evangelize a Software Engineering roadmap
- Experience with team development, mentoring and career planning
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years in a technical leadership role, managing and leading software engineering and DevOps teams
- 7+ years of software development experience at a senior level
- 5+ years’ experience with AWS, GCP, and/or Azure Cloud
- Experience in designing, developing, and delivering robust and scalable software and architecture
- Experience with overseeing development of mobile and web products, platforms, APIs, and integrations with 3rd party services
- Experience working with Docker containers, microservices, and serverless technologies such as AWS Lambda and Fargate.
- Experience developing event-drive, zero touch, CI/CD delivery pipelines resulting in high release velocity.
- Experience in operating in the Software Engineering space with a DevOps mentality
- Experience leading or partnering closely with QA Engineering/SDET teams
- Experienced with software scalability
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The skills, abilities and physical demands described are representative of those duties that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified for the job position, to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; sit, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel. The employee is occasionally required to sit for long period of times. The employee is regularly required to lift a 35 - 40lb dress form for garment evaluations.