Senior Store Designer
- 1240 Rosecrans Ave, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266, USA
- Employment Status: Regular
Join the thousands of innovators, advocates and forces who are making an impact every day at one of the biggest footwear brands in the world. Whether you love to connect with consumers on the retail floor or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the SKECHERS team is the place to be. Learn more about our brand at skx.com.
This leadership position contributes to Skechers’ success by supporting the Global Concepts design group to create outstanding designs that uphold our company values while crafting Skechers Experience. Your primary mission is to create, innovate, elevate, mentor, inspire and lead the projects and individuals of the studio. The role encompasses collaboration cross-functionally with various business units, oversight of holistic design process; inclusive of all phases of design from schematic through construction documents and administration; while honoring budget, schedule and operational requirements aligned with strategic business needs.
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Models leadership behaviors that are grounded in Skechers’ Values.
Drives the engagement, development and performance of all members of their team.
Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
· Take a bold and committed approach to the work and team.
· Practice a holistic integration of Design disciplines and principles architecture and interiors.
· Elevate design and uphold the aspirations and rapid evolution of a global and enduring brand.
· Design and author highly influential programs and projects with specific and broad reaching applications.
· Inspire, mentor and lead teams of environmental designers of various experience levels in a hands-on, positive, and engaged manner which responds to the business aspirations of the brand.
· Lead, influence and support design ideas, conversations and directions across the organization, including strategy, operational innovation, program management, field operations, store development group and other cross-functional business owners.
· Executes design strategy of Skechers projects, programs and initiatives in alignment with leadership goals.
· Provides clear, effective and timely communication of direction and alignment to / for team members.
· Proposes holistic design and resource solutions for work content and workflow with the Manager of Store Design and the Vice President of Store Design.
· Provides forward thinking design, experiences & ideation to concepts projects.
· Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
· Strives to continually drive projects forward in both a strategic and tactical way.
Planning and Execution - Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution and measuring results.
· Contributes to greater business goals along with Store Development, Construction & Real Estate by achieving targeted deliverables.
· Designs environments/ store programs and initiatives within parameters of individual business goals, budgets and market requirements.
· Assists to plan and manage business unit and department processes and practices with the Manager of Store Design and Vice President of Store Design.
· Prepares, communicates and educates cross-functional client groups and internal team on changes in policies and practices within the organization.
· Sets schedules with alignment from Construction and Real Estate. Communicates dates to team and meets all established deadlines.
· Adaptability and able to flex within the context of changing priorities.
· Conducts site visits and supplier / Fabrication reviews as needed.
Business Requirements - Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
· Ensures alignment across studio, cross functional teams, regional teams (when necessary) on individual Programs/Environments/Design Initiatives.
· Participates in schematic reviews with Leadership, Cross-Functional business owners, Program Management, Operations, Creative, Category, Global Design, etc.
· Participates in market research and tours to gain cross functional alignment and understanding of context, segment, customer base and market priorities.
· Manages the architectural design process by assessing the scope of the project through review of surveys and deal documents
· Manages and executes against design process and production of deliverables for design, through concept to construction documents (by designers and consultants.) Ensures all intended scope of work and code requirements are met and aligned to design intent and reflected in drawings.
· Oversees the Q/A of any outsourced deliverables.
Partner Development & Team Building - Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
· Challenges and inspires partners to achieve business results.
· Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews if applicable.
· Ensures continued partner development and development of direct reports. Creates development plans. Provides coaching and conflict resolution.
· Ensures team members adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
· Oversees training and development of team members directly and indirectly manages and makes effective staffing decisions and resource allocation with the Manager of Store Development.
· Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members to achieve partner, business and customer results.
- Education (minimum education level, degree or certification necessary): Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Interior Design.
- ·Years of experience in specific field or utilizing designated skills (minimum needed to be qualified):7 yrs
- CAD drafting in AutoCAD software 7-10 yrs
- 3D modeling & rendering software. Sketchup, Rhino or equiv. V-ray, etc. 7-10 yrs
- Project management experience 7-10 yrs
- Retail design or development organization including management of construction documents 5-7 yrs
- Experience managing external architectural and/or design consultants 5-17 yrs
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sophisticated understanding of the interplay of Brand - Design - Communication.
- Current knowledge of industry trends in retail store design including furniture and finishes.
- Current - working knowledge of building code and compliance issues.
- Demonstrated CAD Drafting, 3D visualization via Sketchup (VRAY, Rhino, etc.).
- Ability and working knowledge of color, materiality, foundational design principles.
- Ability to balance design, with operational needs and budget objectives resulting in exceptional projects.
- Ability to execute multiple designs under tight deadlines.
- Articulate design issues in written and verbal communication, sketches/drawings, etc.
- Ability to translate stated design principles / objectives into unique and varied solutions.
- Knowledge of architectural detailing, material assembly, construction process, project sequencing, specifications, etc. for construction document QA/production and construction administration.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Organizational skills; attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office suit.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; sit, reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel. The employee is occasionally required to sit for long period of times.