Executive Director - Oceanographic Teaching Stations (OTS)
- 225 S Sepulveda Blvd, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266, USA
- Employment Status: Regular
Join the thousands of innovators, advocates and forces who are making an impact every day at one of the biggest footwear brands in the world. Whether you love to connect with consumers on the retail floor or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the SKECHERS team is the place to be. Learn more about our brand at skx.com.
This director-level position is the Oceanographic Teaching Stations community (OTS) outreach, fundraising, and fiscal accountability leader who will be the primary external-facing representative of OTS in order to increase the Roundhouse Aquarium’s visibility within the surrounding community. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, enthusiastic and community-driven team-player who is equipped with a positive attitude, excellent communication, relationship-building and leadership skills, with strong program management / implementation expertise.
Community Outreach and Fundraising - Lead all community outreach and fundraising activities
• Connect people in the broader community by creating sponsorship agreements and cultivating relationships with businesses, individuals, other relevant organizations and the community overall.
• Personally cultivate and expand donor and partner relationships; Oversee staff’s donor management system.
• Develop and execute community outreach strategies and plans, overseeing the calendarization of regular outreach activities, including community events, workshops, appearances, and other communication opportunities.
• Oversee all aspects of special event management, ensuring full event coordination and flawless execution (incl. invitations, mass mailings, venue selection, budgeting, and staff/volunteer/guest management.)
• Ensure an organizational culture of community responsibility.
• Participate fully in and oversee staff on all fundraising efforts, including events, major giving, grants, foundation and corporations.
• Serve as staff representative on Board Development Committee.
• Act a primary liaison to HGF.
Fiscal & Administrative Leadership - Ensure fiscal stability & accountability and organizational compliance
• Oversee the development of an annual and strategic (3-year) financial plan and budget, ensuring adequate funding and cash flow is in place to meet OTS’s mission, programs and goals; Gain Board of Directors’ approval of all budgets and plans.
• Ensure all financial records are accurate, timely, accountable and transparent. Ensure the Board is kept appropriately informed as to the financial and operational health of the organization and any key operational decisions facing the Board; Issue monthly reports to the Board of Directors.
• Ensure legal and regulatory compliance of the organization, instituting proper controls.
• Oversee and ensure proper office record-keeping and personnel documentation requirements.
• Coordinate an annual independent review and audit with the Board Treasurer.
• Direct staff development and evaluation of performance, ensuring all staff are effectively delivering upon their roles and responsibilities.
• Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
• Serve as staff representative on Board Fiscal Oversight Committee.
• Report to and act as primary liaison to OTS Board of Directors; Attend Board meetings.
• Strong commitment to OTS’s mission and values.
• Strong relationship development and network-building skills; high degree of comfort with fundraising.
• Outstanding communication skills, encompassing excellent writing ability, report preparation and verbal presentation skills.
• Highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to develop, manage and execute multiple projects and priorities concurrently.
• Strong understanding of nonprofit organizational finances and compliance.
• People management experience with proven leadership and staff motivation skills.
• Enthusiastic, collaborative team-player with a positive attitude and ability to build teams.
• Knowledge of social media, website development, & other general marketing strategies and tactics.
• Bachelor’s degree required and 3-5 years experience within non-profit fundraising or outreach activities preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop, and kneel. The employee is occasionally required to sit for long period of times.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.