Production Engineering Manager (Remote, Americas)
- Atlanta, GA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: Americas
- Department: Engineering and Development
Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Having a unified vision, a north star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we’re all here.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across the Americas and Europe where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Production Engineering, which is part of our core engineering organization, builds, operates and improves the heart of Shopify’s technical platform. We are a fast-growing team focused on building and maintaining tools and services to unlock the power of planet scale infrastructure for all of Shopify’s merchants, buyers and developers.
Shopify has grown rapidly over the last number of years. As an experienced infrastructure engineering manager, we need your help to both start new teams and expand and grow the missions of our existing teams. There are multiple positions available on a variety of teams and we will work with you as part of the interview process to identify which team best fits your interests, needs and experience.
Here is a sampling of some of the teams, systems and projects to which you could contribute:
- Expand the reach of our search systems to standardize the way we index documents in different languages and in various locations around the world
- Scale a team looking at solving issues with shopping cart access, configuration plane information and package tracking data using a globally accessible, high write key/value store
- Grow the capacity of our worldwide distributed site reliability engineering teams, consulting with other engineering groups on how to build low latency, highly resilient systems
- Take our observability systems to the next level, expanding and evangelizing the usage of tracing, metrics and structured logging across the company
- Work on expanding our highly scalable and configurable job system to support all of the applications on the platform
- Keep our databases operating optimally using proxies, load shedding, custom routing layers and application transparent sharding
- Build manipulation primitives such as combination and filtering into our streaming infrastructure to allow teams to translate existing data streams into specific business problems
While we don’t need you to have specific experience with our technology stack, these are leadership positions that do require that you have:
- Proven management and leadership skills, allowing you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies
- Demonstrated proficiency designing and improving the development, delivery and automation of software infrastructure within a cloud environment
- Experience developing and designing solutions in a modern, high-level/systems programming language (Go, Ruby, Python, Java, C++, C, etc…)
- Familiarity working with senior stakeholders across the organization, both technical and non technical, to develop roadmaps, integrate with larger company initiatives and deliver business and engineering value.
If you have experience in any of the following areas, that will certainly be put to good use. But if you don’t, that’s ok -- the faster you apply, the quicker we can get to teaching you about:
- Building services and deploying them on top of Kubernetes and/or Google Cloud Platform
- Familiarity with how to design, build, understand and maintain distributed systems
- Working with Terraform and/or other infrastructure orchestration tooling
- Participating in an on call rotation and/or site reliability engineering (SRE) experience
- Automating infrastructure operations
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jen is an actual real live person (👋🏾) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Shopify is now permanently remote, and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet: https://www.shopify.com/about/environment#SustainabilityReports
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.