Senior Data Scientist (Remote, United States)
- Dallas, TX, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: Americas
- Department: Data Science and Engineering
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world start and grow their business. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform with over 1 million merchants in more than 175 different countries, with solutions from point-of-sale and online commerce to financial, shipping logistics and marketing.
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organization. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success.
Our Data Scientists focus on pushing products and the business forward, with a focus on solving important problems rather than specific tools. We are looking for talented data scientists to help us better understand our merchants and buyers so we can help them on their journey.
- Proactively identify and champion projects that solve complex problems across multiple domains
- Partner closely with product, engineering and other business leaders to influence product and program decisions with data
- Apply specialized skills and fundamental data science methods (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed) to inform improvements to our business
- Design and implement end-to-end data pipelines: work closely with stakeholders to build instrumentation and define dimensional models, tables or schemas that support business processes
- Build actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products
- Influence leadership to drive more data-informed decisions
- Define and advance best practices within data science and product teams
- 4-6 years of commercial experience as a Data Scientist solving high impact business problems
- Extensive experience with Python and software engineering fundamentals
- Experience with applied statistics and quantitative modelling (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed)
- Demonstrated ability to translate analytical insights into clear recommendations and effectively communicate them to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Curiosity about the problem domain and an analytical approach
- Strong sense of ownership and growth mindset
Experience with one or more:
- Deep understanding of advanced SQL techniques
- Expertise with statistical techniques and their applications in business
- Masterful data storytelling and strategic thinking
- Deep understanding of dimensional modelling and scaling ETL pipelines
- Experience launching productionized machine learning models at scale
- Extensive domain experience in e-commerce, marketing or SaaS
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Make sure to tell us how you think you can make an impact at Shopify, and what drew you to the role.
Please apply before October 15th, 5:00 pm EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.