Senior Software Engineer, Shop - Backend Development (Remote, Europe)
- London, UK
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: EMEA
- Department: Engineering and Development
- Time Zone: CET
Shopify and Shop are now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Shopify has focused the last decade on solving complex problems for entrepreneurs by making commerce seamless and accessible. Now, we want to do the same for customers through Shop.
Shop is on a mission to change how we shop. From the fastest checkout experience in Shop Pay to all-in-one order tracking and easy ways to find and shop local brands in app, Shop is making shopping better one step at a time for both shoppers and the merchants they buy from. Having launched less than a year ago, Shop is already one of the top 5 apps in North America and we're just getting started.
We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our team as we turn Shop into one of the most beloved products and brands in the world. We want shoppers to be able to develop meaningful connections with the brands they love, and we believe that Shop is the answer to helping foster those relationships with the powerhouse of Shopify merchants we love and support.
Intrigued? That’s great! We’re looking for Senior Software Engineers to join our team, and maybe you’re the person we’re looking for!
At Shop, Backend Engineers have a passion for solving tough problems with performant code and work in teams that improve our product in ways that make an impact for our shoppers. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We have tens of millions of end users, and millions of requests a day. Thousands of users will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. We rely heavily on Ruby on Rails within Shop, and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
- Collaborating with other designers and Front End engineers
- Creating beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Balance moving fast and experimenting against building for the long term
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages — Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Python, Go — is an asset, but not required. Don’t have experience with many of them? No problem — deep experience with any object-oriented language and willingness to learn our tech stack goes a long way. (Also: Check out our StackShare here.)
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shop changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
You’ve mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jane is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shop, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
At Shop, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/2021