Lead/Staff Software Engineer – Mobile or Frontend Development (Remote, Europe)
- Berlin, Germany
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: EMEA
- Department: Engineering and Development
Shopify is the leading cloud-based, multi-channel commerce platform. Merchants can use the software to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, and brick-and-mortar locations. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Shopify was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes. Shopify powers over 1,000,000 businesses in over 175 countries — and here’s how we’ve been helping more merchants survive, thrive, and navigate the impacts of COVID-19. Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe.
At Shopify, Staff Developers use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a Staff Developer, you’ll help drive the product vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and lead and mentor other developers. You’ll also be hands-on in our code and will contribute technically. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
Intrigued? That’s great! We’re recruiting Staff Software Developers to join teams in any one of these disciplines. Based on your experience and interests, let us know which one you identify with most in your application!
Mobile Development (React Native)
Our Mobile Developers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. You’ll work on large-scale apps that are ever-changing, enabling entrepreneurship for hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs. Our teams are increasingly working with React Native so openness to cross-platform mobile development is a must!
Our Frontend Developers work closely with software engineering teams, designers and product managers to not only build incredible merchant-facing products, but also developer-facing tools. You’ll use modern technologies and frameworks like Typescript, React, GraphQL and Apollo to develop large front-end web applications that scale and perform well on all devices. Ruby on Rails is used to add and modify controllers, models, views, and integrating front-end code into a Rails application.
You're driven to:
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build innovative features that are driven by web scale data
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
Qualities you likely have to be well suited to this role:
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
- Experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with UX and Product Management teams across time zones
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Natalia is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Please note: All applicants to this position will receive a response no later than three weeks after submitting an application — both candidates selected to proceed to interviews, and candidates with whom we will not move forward. We are taking time as a team to ensure that we have a diverse pool of candidates in our process before accepting more candidates into our interview steps.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet: https://www.shopify.com/about/environment#SustainabilityReports
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/2021