Senior Frontend Development Manager (Remote, Americas)
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: Americas
- Department: Engineering and Development
Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Having a unified vision, a north star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we are all here.
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe — and engineers play a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
As a Senior Front End Development Manager in Marketing, you will lead remote teams of Front End Developers that work on campaigns and initiatives across various marketing/social channels and touchpoints. You will lead planning, resourcing, and executing projects, while providing mentorship and creating growth opportunities for your teams. You’ll also collaborate across our leadership teams to help push the disciplines of Front End Development and Marketing User Experience (UX) forward across the company.
What you’ll do as a Marketing-focused Senior Frontend Development Manager at Shopify:
- Manage multiple teams and help them prioritize, plan, build, and ship the most impactful projects.
- Work on problems with your teams, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion, and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Mentor and lead other managers and independent contributors while also providing growth opportunities. You understand that leadership is a craft, and know how to mentor your team members to help them grow and succeed.
- Help your teams ship exceptional user experiences and establish clear definitions of quality.
- Build accessible, responsive, performant experiences, and educate teams across UX and Marketing on why this matters.
- Evaluate and provide supportive and constructive feedback to your reports.
The right candidate will have:
- Proven senior leadership skills. Your management skills and technical depth allow you to develop and mentor others leads as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies.
- Proven software development background in Web Development, UX, Back End, or Mobile. You feel comfortable diving into the code and interacting with developers at all levels of seniority and have a commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence, and results.
- Experience building responsive, performant, and accessible web experiences that engage audiences through the use of animation and complex interactions.
- Familiarity with distributed infrastructure and highly available systems at scale.
- Experience designing and developing APIs, working with Content Management Systems, and Design Systems.
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships across UX, Engineering, Product Management, Product Marketing, Sales, Data, and SEO teams distributed across multiple time zones.
- You are comfortable working with senior stakeholders (Director level and up), both technical and non technical.
It would be great if you had experience with:
- Working in an agency or creative environment delivering large-scale, multi-language websites, microsites, landing pages, and campaigns with complex internationalization and localization requirements.
- A deep understanding of one or more specific client-side areas like animation, web performance, or accessibility for example.
- Experimentation and evaluation methodologies to help inform decisions with real-world data.
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/2021