Lead/Staff Backend Software Engineer, Shop (Remote, Americas)
- Washington, DC, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: Americas
- Department: Engineering and Development
- Time Zone: EST
Shopify and Shop are now permanently remote and we're working towards a future that is digital by default. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across North America where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Shopify has focused the last decade on solving complex problems for entrepreneurs by making commerce seamless and accessible. Now, we want to do the same for customers through Shop.
Shop is on a mission to change how we shop. From the fastest checkout experience in Shop Pay to all-in-one order tracking and easy ways to find and shop local brands in app, Shop is making shopping better one step at a time for both shoppers and the merchants they buy from. Having launched less than a year ago, Shop is already one of the top 5 apps in North America and we're just getting started.
We're looking for a Lead Backend Software Engineer to join our team as we turn Shop into one of the most beloved products and brands in the world. We want shoppers to be able to develop meaningful connections with the brands they love, and we believe that Shop is the answer to helping foster those relationships with the powerhouse of Shopify merchants we love and support.
At Shop, Lead Software Engineers (also referred to as Staff Engineers) use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a technical leader, you’ll help drive your team’s vision to its implementation.You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shop to build great products for buyers and sellers. You will build highly scalable, performant, and reliable products that benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and lead and mentor other engineers. And of course, you’ll be hands-on in the code and contribute technically.
What does Back End Development mean at Shop?
On the Back End development side, we’re looking for engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code to power Shop and Shopify APIs and data processing pipelines. Our teams deploy new code many times a day across Shop and Shopify backend systems, we are mindful of the impact our code has on performance, and our production scale is large. With billions of requests a day, we’re serving many millions of buyers and over 1 million sellers who will see your work within seconds – an important and incredibly rewarding responsibility. While Shop has its own services, we have plenty of interactions and integrations with the Shopify core codebases. There is no red tape and we leverage this fact whenever it supports our goal of building high quality products faster. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community.
What you’ll do as a Lead Backend Software Engineer at Shop:
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build highly available, resilient and scalable platform primitives & API
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Collaborate with other Shopify and Shop leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best experiences for our users
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- A proven track record of leading the technical direction for software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
- Deep experience building large scale, high throughput systems
- High level of fluency with and experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages - Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, React or React Native, Golang, Kubernetes - or deep experience with any object-oriented language and relevant transferrable technologies
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships across UX, Product Management, Product Marketing, and Data teams
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify and Shop changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Jane is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shop, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Shopify and Shop now permanently remote, and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet: https://www.shopify.com/about/environment#SustainabilityReports
At Shop, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/2021