Senior Frontend Engineer, Marketing (Remote, Americas)
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Region: Americas
- Department: Engineering and Development
Shopify’s mission is to make commerce better for everyone. From building a new product feature for our commerce platform, to helping a merchant troubleshoot an issue over the phone, we want to empower our ecosystem through our work.
Having a unified vision, a north star, is vitally important to ensure that we are all headed in the same direction. No matter the size or experience, we want to power every merchant’s experience. This is why we are all here.
Shopify is on a fast-moving mission to make the best products for merchants, buyers, and partners around the globe — and engineers play a vital role in building that future. Here are just some of the stories from the engineering teams who build and scale Shopify.
What you’ll do as a Marketing-focused Senior Frontend Engineer at Shopify:
- Create websites, landing pages, and web applications that are responsive, performant, and accessible that engage audiences through the use of animation and complex interactions.
- Develop Content Management workflows and functionality that allows other teams to deploy content quickly across multiple geographies and languages.
- Test-driven development to ensure our teams are writing well-tested code.
- Learning the latest front end technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best tools and techniques possible.
- Being an advocate throughout the company for great UX.
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- Developing public-facing websites that perform well on all devices using modern languages and frameworks.
- Building complex interactions in a performant way, with a high degree of polish.
- Authoring resilient code that conforms with accessibility requirements and follows progressive enhancement methodologies.
- Providing highly effective code reviews and peer mentorship.
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too.
- Working with modern web stacks (transpilers, linters, build and CI tools, etc.).
- Experience with relational databases and SQL.
It would be great if you had experience with:
- You’ve mentored teammates on new ways to deepen their technical craft.
- Working in an agency or creative studio environment delivering websites for a variety of clients.
- Experimentation and evaluation methodologies to help inform decisions with real-world data.
- A deep understanding of one or more specific client-side areas like animation, performance, or accessibility for example.
- Building multi-language websites with complex internationalization and localization requirements.
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/2021