Program Associate, SE Asia and China
Sequoia Climate Foundation is a new philanthropy that seeks to decarbonize the world economy at a speed and scale equal to the challenge. We support bold strategies and efforts that will have both a near-term impact and the greatest probability of long-term success. We believe that solving climate change requires the adoption of ambitious, evidence-based policy solutions that transform markets, advance clean technology, and lead to large-scale change.
Our focus areas include power, transportation, buildings, industry, land use, agriculture and forestry, finance, communications, movement building, and public engagement. Sequoia Climate Foundation is active in major emitting geographies, including China, the United States, India, and the European Union, among others. We are dedicated to building the political will and powerful coalitions needed to achieve these bold policy solutions.
About the Role
We actively seek a collaborative, bold, and innovative thinker who can help us identify and evaluate ambitious climate strategies capable of driving transformative change in the world. The successful candidate will work with peer networks, government officials, thought leaders, and key stakeholders to assess emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities in the field. Reporting to the Program Director, the Program Associate, SE Asia and China will work to both develop and execute philanthropic strategies. You will compile the research and evidence necessary to assess the potential impact of our strategies and their chances for success and identify the organizations best positioned to execute them. This role is an excellent opportunity for a passionate individual with a strong initiative towards contributing to a net-zero carbon future. This role will allow you to make a global impact while contributing to the adoption of climate mitigation policies in high-emitting countries. Sequoia Climate Foundation is a new, growing organization, making this a dynamic and fluid role.
Location: Hybrid Role (In-person at our Irvine, CA location and Remote)
- Support Sequoia’s efforts to determine strategic priorities and set operational plans by conducting research and analysis on specific programs and climate sector trends.
- Monitor developments in the field to identify emerging needs, gaps, and opportunities for driving ambitious climate action.
- Engage peer networks, funders, government officials, and other stakeholders to help develop strategies and identify organizations best positioned to execute those strategies.
- Support all aspects of strategy execution and grantmaking, including initial screening of potential grantees, analyzing background information, soliciting, developing funding proposals, and preparing grant recommendations.
- Serve as the point of contact for select grantees to learn from and steward the relationship, conduct site visits as needed, and monitor the impact of grants.
- Support the forecasting of grant payments and serve as a compliance checkpoint to ensure grantmaking stays within yearly budgets. Maintain grants database, budget spreadsheets, and grant calendars, and coordinate grant processes for the team.
- Assist team with planning and coordinating meetings, travel, workshops, and convenings; make logistical arrangements as needed; manage consultant contracts.
Who You Are
- A Strategic Thinker. You’re a strong conceptual thinker who can easily grasp and navigate a range of abstract concepts, relate them to one another, and translate those concepts into strategies and practical actions.
- A Details Person. Your favorite part of reading a research paper is deciding which of the citations in the bibliography to read next. You want to understand not just what someone says but what assumptions they used to get there.
- An Analog and Digital Synthesizer. Once you have collected all the details, you can wrap them up in a concise written form and contribute to an engaging conversation, whether face-to-face, on the phone, or on Twitter.
- An Effective Collaborator. You have worked across cultural lines on a dispersed team, and you have the ability to operate in complex situations. You can quickly gain trust from colleagues and are known for being supportive.
- A Flexible Worker. You are not afraid to step outside your job description or comfort zone to help the team reach its goals. You are comfortable with shifting schedules and don’t expect every day to go “as planned.” You are happy to challenge someone’s assumptions and to have your assumptions challenged in return.
- A Humble Teammate. Nothing is beneath or above you. You are quick to always lend a hand or two! You are able to earn influence without authority and naturally seek to support both small projects or large strategic goals. You know what you know and what you don’t know, and don’t shy away from questions.
- Mission-oriented. You believe in the mission of Sequoia Climate Foundation and are passionate about climate change and creating a more sustainable world.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience working in climate change or a related field.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and one additional language that is spoken in China, Korea, Japan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, or another Southeast Asian country.
- Ability to handle simultaneous deadlines and complete assignments with minimal supervision in a fast-paced workplace.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to translate analysis into clear and concise recommendations.
- An abundance mindset. You believe that we are living in a world of abundant resources and that the right team of partners can make incredible things happen. You bring relentless curiosity and creativity to every task, project, and engagement.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion. You’re always asking: “whose voice is not at the table?” You have experience working with diverse teams and successfully navigating cross-cultural communication in both local and global contexts, and you deeply value creating a workplace that is supportive of difference.
What You Will Enjoy:
You will be a part of an organization that promotes positive change in the world to minimize the impacts of climate change. We provide competitive wages, health, and wellness benefits, paid vacation, holidays, and other perks to promote work/life harmony. We operate in a hybrid model, which means both workdays from home and in the office located in Irvine, California.
COVID-19 Update: Sequoia Climate Foundation requires its employees to be fully vaccinated and up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines unless they are approved for an exemption as allowed under federal and applicable state law. Unless approved for an exemption, new hires must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination at the time of hire, and offers of employment will be contingent on compliance with Sequoia Climate Foundation’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
We believe in cultivating teams with diverse backgrounds and offering equal opportunities. We strive to create a welcoming, inclusive environment where every team member feels valued, and diversity is celebrated. Sequoia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or legally protected status.