Chief of Staff
Sequoia Climate Foundation is a new philanthropy that seeks to decarbonize the world economy at a speed and scale equal to the challenge. We support bold strategies and efforts that will have both a near-term impact and the greatest probability of long-term success. We believe that solving climate change requires the adoption of ambitious, evidence-based policy solutions that transform markets, advance clean technology, and lead to large-scale change.
Our focus areas include power, transportation, buildings, industry, land use, agriculture and forestry, finance, communications, movement building, and public engagement. Sequoia Climate Foundation is active in major emitting geographies, including China, the United States, India, and the European Union, among others. We are dedicated to building the political will and powerful coalitions needed to achieve these bold policy solutions.
We are looking for a Chief of Staff to work alongside members of our Senior Leadership Team. Do you thrive in a collaborative and start-up environment where you take action and ownership to solve problems and lead change? Do you want to be part of a larger purpose and an evolving, high-performance culture that empowers you to make an impact? If this sounds like a good fit for you, we look forward to receiving your resume!
The Chief of Staff will act as the “right hand” to the President and balance strategy, project and process management, and executions, helping the President be as effective as possible. This position will work closely with all teams and will be leveraging their cross-functional relationships to understand challenges and opportunities in the organization. He or she will act to build “connective tissue” in communicating needs across the organization. This position will need a high degree of independence, analytical thinking, and be able to drive cross-functional projects, prioritize tasks in a fast-paced startup environment, and communicate effectively across the organization. This role may interact with peer networks, government officials, thought leaders, and key stakeholders.
Location: Hybrid Role (In-person at our Irvine, CA location and Remote)
What You Will Do:
- Supports and manages the workflow of the President and assists the President in aligning time with top priorities, deadlines, and decisions to maximize execution.
- Oversees projects and initiatives from development through successful execution under the guidance and partnership of our President and the leadership team.
- Streamlines and oversees the flow of communication between others and the President. Ensures all staff requests of the President are adequately addressed efficiently and judiciously while tracking progress until resolved.
- Contributes to the development of internal and external communications for the President and partners with the leadership team on strategy/messaging for executive communications and internal and external speaking engagements.
- Exercise the utmost discretion when dealing with sensitive and confidential material and safeguard all information.
- Conducts research, develops and maintains a curated library for the President on relevant climate change topics, important issues, news, local and global political and philanthropic proposals, initiatives, plans, and decisions.
- Assist in the preparation process for board materials, draft prep materials and agendas in advance, record notes (if needed), keep meetings on track, and follow up for successful completion of action items.
- Assist in the quarterly, annual, and long-term planning cycle to ensure the process fully reflects the organization’s vision and priorities.
- Works closely with the Executive Assistant to the President to manage the President’s schedule, meetings, and other administrative activities.
- Builds crisp, visually appealing slide decks to support critical messages from the leadership team to an internal or external audience.
- Identifies, implements, and documents the proper systems and structures for efficient operations; works closely with key stakeholders to create clear and valuable briefing memos, documents, templates, and processes for staff and refines them as necessary.
- Partners with key stakeholders to understand and maintain priority action items and monitors progress on action items.
- Assists with program and goals development, tracking, and keeping the leadership team apprised of the most critical internal deadlines and external areas of interest that impact Sequoia’s programs.
- Attends critical meetings and events with, or on behalf of, the President and ensures timely completion of action items.
- Assists with planning and coordinating meetings, events, travel, workshops, and convenings; makes logistical arrangements as needed; manages consultant contracts as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience in a similar role.
- Experience with program and project management.
- Experience with strategic planning, organizational planning, and operational follow-through.
- Experience and a passion for working on climate change topics.
What You Will Enjoy:
You will be a part of an organization that promotes positive change in the world to minimize the impacts of climate change. We provide competitive wages, health, and wellness benefits, paid vacation, holidays, and other perks to promote work/life harmony. We operate in a hybrid model, which means both workdays from home and in the office located in Irvine, California.
COVID-19 Update: Sequoia Climate Foundation requires its employees to be fully vaccinated and up to date with their COVID-19 vaccines unless they are approved for an exemption as allowed under federal and applicable state law. Unless approved for an exemption, new hires must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination at the time of hire, and offers of employment will be contingent on compliance with Sequoia Climate Foundation’s COVID-19 vaccination policy.
We believe in cultivating teams with diverse backgrounds and offering equal opportunities. We strive to create a welcoming, inclusive environment where every team member feels valued, and diversity is celebrated. Sequoia is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or legally protected status.