Human Resources Assistant
- 6211 E 42nd Ave, Denver, CO 80216, USA
Seattle Fish uses the Culture Index Survey to assess individual strengths as part of our hiring process. The Culture Index Survey is a tool used company-wide that helps Seattle Fish better understand organizational culture, training needs, how individuals prefer to be managed, and how individuals prefer to communicate.
Family is a core value at Seattle Fish Company, and we have an obligation to create a company and culture that encourages our employees to want to stay at Seattle Fish. This work is represented in our 2021 goal of 65% employee retention. We believe that our SFC Family is the key to our success and we use Culture Index on an on-going basis to create a system for managing, motivating, and communicating with employees, while providing development opportunities that will engage and retain our SFC family, as well as creating fulfilling positions that leverage your unique strengths.
Please copy and paste the link below into your browser window and complete the Culture Index Survey. If you do not complete the survey, your application will not be considered.
Seattle Fish Company has been serving the Rocky Mountain and Midwest regions for over one hundred years. Since our founding in 1918, we’ve been proudly providing our communities with a high-quality, healthful, and sustainable protein: seafood. In addition to seafood, Seattle Fish Company is actively building our Gourmet Provisions portfolio, which is comprised of hundreds of local, artisan and exclusive items such as salts, seasonings, cheeses, jams, sauces and more. We believe in providing our customers with the best products available and an equally impressive customer service experience.
We are a third-generation family owned business and believe that our employees are an integral part of our family. Seattle Fish Company is committed to offering employees a wealth of benefits including: ongoing opportunities for growth and professional development, flexible work schedules, and a transparent yet respectful office environment that encourages success.
Seattle Fish Company Values & Leadership Aspiration
Core Values are deeply ingrained in our culture at Seattle Fish Company. We live, hire, and make daily decisions based on them.
- Customer – Our business has grown from a 16-year-old entrepreneur's dream to a leader in the industry because of our commitment to customer service. We go above and beyond taking orders to guide decisions, share expertise, introduce new products and educate on sustainable practices.
- Quality – Our holistic dedication to quality is more than delivering fresh fish and seafood raised in and harvested from pristine environments. It’s the variety and creativity of our product selection, the sustainability and intentional sourcing, and the depth and accuracy of the information we provide.
- Sustainability – Our focus on seafood is inextricably tied to our commitment to sustainability. As one of the most sustainable sources of protein, seafood is the future. But we must be responsible and intentional in how we source it. We are always mindful of how our business and industry impact the environment and future generations.
- Family – We were founded on family, and generations later we remain family-run. It’s also about our employee family, working hard to support our shared vision. It’s about the families of our customers who rely on our seafood for their livelihood. It’s about the families who are nourished by our seafood.
- Philanthropy- After more than 100 years we’ve become undeniably invested in the communities we serve. We’ve adopted a spirit of philanthropy that drives us to find new ways to lend our support locally and globally. Not only through our business practices, but also through charitable contributions, volunteer efforts and industry leadership.
Living these values will help us to achieve our ultimate goal, or what we like to refer to as our Leadership Aspiration: Leading the growth of sustainable seafood consumption throughout the West. We will grow seafood consumption through consistently delivering quality products to our customers, providing thought leadership on sustainability within the community and our industry, hiring top talent and creating a continuous learning environment of engaged employees.
Are you driven by social interaction, organized, and up for a challenge? Seattle Fish Co is looking for a positive, proactive, and energetic Assistant to join the HR Team.
The Human Resources Team’s main focus is to support our employees, and make sure Seattle Fish stays compliant across all areas of Human Resources.
They will handle and provide support for various HR employee programs and processes within the organization. The position supports SFC compliance with state and federal regulations. The position will take part in developing SFC culture through the integration of Company philosophy across all HR touchpoints.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Recruiting and On-Boarding
- Handles new employee on-boarding process including background checks, drug testing, strength testing, MVRs and E-Verify
- Creates and maintains employee personnel files
- Recruiting back-up
- Assist with open enrollment
- Benefit back-up in enrollment and communication of benefit plans
- Performs HRIS data entry for union dues and union pay increases
- Track employee attendance and tardiness and report employee status to supervisors
- Issue disciplinary notices as needed and assist foremen with disciplinary write-ups
- Provides customer service to employees through answering employee questions and responding to request
- Administrative support of day-to-day human resources operations
Track and ensure compliance for all “leave of absences.”
- Maintains SFC communication boards/Bulletin Boards and other Company communications
- Assists in employee self-service training with Paycom
- Maintains inventory and distribution of the SFC gear
- Issue security badges to employees
- Assist with the planning and coordination of department and company-wide events
- Perform duties to SQF (Safe Quality Food) level 3 standards and Follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), policies and procedures.
- Understand and complete your responsibilities under Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP)
Health & Safety
- Wear required personal protective equipment (PPE) as required by the position and/or task.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
- Work within established safe work practices, policies and procedures.
Education, Training and Skills Required:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- 1 – 2 years’ experience as an HR assistant or administrative position
- Basic knowledge of labor laws
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Effective communication and presentation skills at all levels (oral and written).
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Team-oriented approach to problem solving.
- Proficiency in related computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Bilingual in Spanish would be an asset, but not required.
- Experience with Paycom software would be an asset but not required.
$40,000 - $44,000
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet conditions (non-weather) and extreme cold (non-weather). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
We are conveniently located in north Denver near the light rail and close to the Stapleton and Northfield neighborhoods which offer numerous restaurants, coffee shops and shopping.
Why You Should Apply
Seattle Fish offers a unique culture made up of fellow fishmongers and fishmonger support staff. We value our employees’ quality of life both inside and outside of work. Our employees have access to medical, dental, vision, life, short and long term disability insurances as well as participation in a 401 (k) retirement savings account. We offer a casual environment, tuition reimbursement, gym memberships, product purchasing, and company celebrations and events.
Awards & Recognition
Seattle Fish Company has been recognized as a top company, for our talented executive staff, and for our sustainability achievements. Below are a few examples of recent accolades.
Entrepreneur of the Year 2016 - James Iacino, CEO
CoBiz Top Company Winner – 2017
Colorado Environmental Leadership Program Gold Winner - 2017
Green Business of the Year- 2018
Seattle Fish Company loves being a part of the communities we serve and regularly contributes to organizations such as the Denver Zoo, Project Angel Heart, No Kid Hungry, Denver Rescue Mission, The Growhaus, Children’s Hospital and many others. Connecting to the community through service activities allows us to be a part of something bigger and inspire positive change. We also offer our employees 8 hours of paid time off annually to volunteer at a charity or organization of their choosing.
Meet Seattle Fish Co.
Seattle Fish Co. believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to the success of the company. The contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline the responsibilities but not limited to such responsibilities. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.