Skilled Construction Laborers - DC Metro Area
- Washington, DC, Washington, DC, United States
Schnabel Foundation Company was formed in 1959 as a foundation engineering and construction company in business to design and build excavation support and specialized foundation systems. We still do that today. We have grown from a single office in Washington, DC to include nine offices from coast-to-coast where we now employ over 40 professional engineers who design and manage the construction projects in those offices.
Schnabel Foundation Company is continually looking for skilled construction laborers with lagging and underpinning experience. Schnabel is a foundation engineering and construction company that designs and builds excavation support and specialized foundation systems.
Tasks involve physical labor at construction sites to assist with the installation for excavation support. Main skills required include hand digging and backfilling for the installing of lagging or underpinning. Other typical laborer activities associated with sheeting and shoring include but are not limited to mixing grout, tending tieback drill rigs, shotcrete work or digging trenches, cleaning up debris or other duties.
- Constructing soldier piles at regular intervals
- Excavating in small stages and installing lagging.
- Backfilling and compacting the void space behind the lagging.
Underpinning Methods of underpinning include the construction of footings, stem walls, driven piling or drilled piers.
Underpinning is accomplished by digging underneath shallow footings and extending the foundation by pouring concrete to extend the reach of the foundations in depth or in breadth so it either rests on a stronger soil stratum or distributes its load across a greater area. Use of micropiles and jet grouting are common methods in underpinning. An alternative to underpinning is the strengthening of the soil by the introduction of a grout.
Laborers also operate hand and power tools of all types: air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment, and a variety of other equipment and instruments.
- A minimum of 6 months of construction labor work experience and good references.
- Underpinning experience
- Lagging experience
- Fork lift experience in a construction setting, small earth moving equipment such as mini excavator, or skid steer loaders.
- Be able to pass drug screening
- High school diploma or GED
- Possess valid driver's license or other accepted legal ID
- Union affiliation or willingness to take the necessary steps to join the union
- Safety conscious (comply with proper safety procedures)
- Experience with picks, shovels, and air tools for excavation
- Ability to take direction and work together with others
Typical Physical Demands
- Ability to climb, kneel, stoop, crouch, balance, squat and tolerate heights without fear due to nature of job typically outside with often uneven and/or muddy ground
- Must have the ability to exert heavy physical effort, handling average weight objects up to 50 lbs.
- Work in levels of noise, dust, moisture and temperatures normally found on construction sites
- Work in confined space (as required for underpinning)
Schnabel Foundation Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is fully committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Schnabel Foundation Company participates with EVerify.